EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Network shares

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 11/20/2012 17:36:24
by Kenny Munro (Basic support level)

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating and trying to get my head around network shares.

I've modified your Mapper example so that the btnAddMount_Click method now reads:

mCbFS.AddMountingPoint(edtMountingPoint.Text, CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK, Nothing)

When I call that with the following mount string

Z:;KM-LAPTOP;TestShare

where KM-LAPTOP is the name of my machine, I see the Z drive created locally but under the Network tab in Explorer I see two instances of KM-LAPTOP, one with my 'normal' shares and a second containing only TestShare. I realise I can also change the server name to something else, in which case the new machine name appears in the local explorer. What I can't figure out, however, is how to access these from a remote machine over the network. How do I get the CBFS share to appear along with all my other shares from a remote machine?
Posted: 11/21/2012 01:51:32
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

CallbackFS for the "network" type of mounting points use its own network redirector that is different from the system one which supports microsoft network shares (SMB). That is why you see two instances of KM-LAPTOP - one supported by the microsoft redirector and the other is for CallbackFS. But you can specify another than the "KM-LAPTOP" name in the case of CallbackFS.
Also CallbackFS redirector doesn't support network access. Its goal is to support UNC access as well as to minimize I/O requests to CallbackFS virtual disks (in the case of network mounting points Explorer as well as other apps tries to minimize requests to read file attributes and thumbnails, and it is "convenient" for the customers who have slow access in the CallbackFS callbacks to some remote resources).
In order to have a remote access to your CallbackFS virtual disk you can do one the following:
1. Specify in addition to the CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK flag the CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK_READ_NETWORK_ACCESS and/or CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK_WRITE_NETWORK_ACCESS flags.
2. Create a "non-network" mounting point (by specifying the flag CBFS_SYMLINK_MOUNT_MANAGER or CBFS_SYMLINK_SIMPLE) and call the system API NetShareAdd to create a microsoft network share.

Statistics

Topic viewed 954 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!