EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Support for SetFileValidData

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 09/28/2012 11:26:49
by Brahim Bakayoko (Standard support level)

Can we have support for SetFileValidData?
I understand its limited purpose, there is a number of client applications making use of it and supporting it would be great.

If not, what please provide your opinions and feedbacks.

Thanks.
Posted: 09/28/2012 11:37:33
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Typically, the SetFileValidData function is used by system-level applications on their own private data. Not all file systems use valid data length. Some file systems can track multiple valid data ranges. In general, most applications will never need to call this function.

I don't think this function has any real use and the only thing we can offer is that you add an idea to the wishlist and we see what demand exists for it. I think it's next to zero.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/30/2012 08:55:10

Hi Eugene,

I used to think that the use of this function would be nil too. Even reading the MS docs, they do explain about its limited usage. However, I have had more than one case where a number of programs require this function to work properly.

The most pertinent case is with utorrent downloads of large files.
If the user is downloading a 40GB file and the program wants to pre-allocate the space to avoid fragmentation, it has two options:
1. The OnSetEndOfFile approach, which will zero fill the file and will take a while for a large file
2. The SetFileValidData approach, which is much faster and safe as long as the program intends to fully fill the file with data

I will add that to the wishlist.

Thanks a great deal.
Posted: 09/30/2012 09:18:49

Thank you for description of the real-life use. Now I see that such function can make sense (though I have a feeling that any application should rollback to SetFileSize and/or use sparse files in case SetFileValidData is not supported).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/31/2013 07:35:21

Any update on this?

Thanks.
Posted: 03/31/2013 08:51:45

No - the items have New status in the wishlist. Not even "Planned". I will move some items to the todo list now and update the state.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1400 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!