EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Mounting as a network share and volume label

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 09/25/2012 13:50:57
by Ivan P (Priority Standard support level)

Hello!

When I mount the drive as a Netwrok Drive it's shown in Windows Explorer (win7) as:
ShareName (\\COMPUTERNAME) Z:

I would like to have it shown as:
VolumeLabel (Z:)

When I view virtual drive properties I do see VolumeLabel.

The reason I don't want to mount it as Removable is that Windows Explorer works with unreliably when connection with storage is slow.

I would maybe set virtual share name as:
VolumeLabel (\\COMPUTERNAME) Z:
but volume label must be unique in this case.

Is it possible to set some flags or do anything else to achieve this?

Thanks,
IP
Posted: 09/25/2012 13:55:11
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The text to show is chosen by Explorer, not by the filesystem. Consequently there's no way to influence it.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/25/2012 14:11:06
by Eric Dahlvang (Standard support level)

It seems to me that:

cbfs.AddMountingPoint("Z:;COMPUTERNAME;VolumeLabel", CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK | CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_SYMLINK_LOCAL, null);

will show in explorer as:
VolumeLabel (\\COMPUTERNAME) Z:

Am I not understanding something with Ivan P's question?
Posted: 09/25/2012 14:24:37
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Probably you are correct and you've found the combination of flags and parameters which work :).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/25/2012 14:24:41
by Ivan P (Priority Standard support level)

Eugene, thanks for your answer. I hoped there's a little possibility to control it by modifying some mount flags.
Do you have any plans of implementing ability to control volume displaying in your shell extension (like you did with the icon)?
I would really like not to see the hostname for share-mounted drives (in my case).

Eric, the problem is that if there're several volumes to mount with the same volume label, they cannot be all mounted at the same time.

Sincerley,
IP
Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages

Statistics

Topic viewed 2523 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!