EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Virtual disk designe features

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 09/06/2012 11:59:02
by Konstantin Komkov (Basic support level)

Good day
I am new with eldos components.

What designe object CallbackFileSystem can customize for virtual diskin os Windows

1 I found that user can set Icons ( ecording file extension and file sync state ? can i do it ? )
2 Can i extend file/folder context menu
3 color of name
4 tool tips / hint for files/folders
Posted: 09/06/2012 12:06:19
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Let's separate the filesystem, the OS and one particular user application (Windows Explorer).

Callback File System works on filesystem level. It doesn't care much about user-mode applications, even about Windows Explorer. Custom icons are the only functionality related to Windows Explorer that are offered by CBFS. Anything else in Windows Explorer is a task of user-mode extensions called, well, shell extensions (strange name, I know). Shell extensions employ COM technology and require different set of skills and knowledge. I.e. its not CBFS' job to add bells and whistles to Explorer.

In Delphi shell extensions can be created using Shell+ components. For .NET there exist several libraries including EZShellExtensions, but writing shell extensions in .NET is not recommended due to possible .NET version conflicts (see this MSDN forum post for details). I am sure there exist libraries for C++ but I can't remember any names.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Topic viewed 633 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!