EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Uninstall Windows Kernel Driver

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 03/14/2012 15:41:46
by Sid Schipper (Standard support level)

I have an old Windows XP system that I used for testing in the past. When I query the status of the Windows Kernel Driver on that system it tells me that it is running version, which is the latest version that I have downloaded. I haven't used this system in quite a while and when I tried to run my application I was not able to see my virtual drive in Windows Explorer. When I have run into the same problem on other systems it was usually because the Helper dlls were not installed properly. So, I checked in Windows/system32 and I was correct, the helper dlls were not there. So, I tried to uninstall the Kernel Driver so that I could re-install it, but the uninstall failed with a CbFs Error 2. My next step was to get the cbfs.cab file and manually extract the helper dlls into Windows\system32, so I did that but it did not solve any of my problems. Even after a reboot I still could not see my virtual drive in Windows Explorer or uninstall the Kernel Driver. One interesting thing to note is that if I went to a DOS command window I could set the drive to the drive letter of my virtual drive (G:) and DOS would take me there and I could run a dir command and see the files on my virtual drive, so it is only Windows explorer that is the problem. Can you help me with this? Is there some way to uninstall CbFs in this case? If not, is there some way to install the helper dlls seperately from the driver?
Posted: 03/15/2012 01:22:37
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

It seems the problem is with the mount notifier helper DLL (CbFsMntNtf3.dll). This DLL notifies Explorer about drive letters arrival and disarrival. We constantly perform upgrading of the installation procedure to be more robust for erroneous situations and will check this one. But try to uninstall CallbackFS, reboot the machine, and install it again.
Posted: 03/15/2012 10:38:14

Unfortunately, uninstalling is the problem. I can uninstall the CbFs libraries that I use to develop my application with and re-install that, but what I cannot uninstall is the actual CbFs Windows Kernel Driver. When I run the program that calls the CbFs API "CallbackFileSystem::Uninstall" I get a CbFs error 2 and the Kernel Driver does not get uninstalled. If I could uninstall and re-install the driver and the helper dlls I think that would fix my problem. Do you have an emergency utility that will uninstall the Kernel Driver without getting an error?
Posted: 03/15/2012 11:04:39
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Have you tried to reboot the machine and install again (after the uninstall)?
Posted: 03/15/2012 12:06:21

Yes, I forced an install over the old install and that worked, I can now see my virtual drive. Thank you for your help. I'm still getting an error that I don't understand, but I think it is in my application, not in CbFs.
Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.

Topic viewed 2113 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!