EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

When is reboot required after CBFS driver installation

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 03/09/2012 23:19:55
by Ilia Fischer (Basic support level)

Under which circumstances CBFS driver installation requires reboot and under which it doesn't? I mean when Install function returns that reboot is required.
Posted: 03/10/2012 01:45:17
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

If you install MntNtf.dll, reboot is required always since Explorer must be restarted to load the DLL. In other cases reboot is required if some file (including driver files) could not be copied immediately and was scheduled for copying upon reboot (using MoveFileEx API)

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/23/2012 15:13:51
by Ilia Fischer (Basic support level)

I am referring to this post of Vladimir Zinin:

https://www.eldos.com/forum/read.php?FID=13&TID=990&MID=8440&sphrase_id=393405#message8440

If the driver is installed for the first time then a reboot is not needed. But if a new version of the driver is installed and the existing one is being used at this time (for example some program has not closed yet a handle to a file from some CallbackFS storage, even if the storage has been closed already) then a reboot is needed.

So in case I don't need MntNtf.dll functionality - reboot will not be required on the first install. Is that correct?

Another question is about MntNtf.dll (to confirm that I can live without it) - if Explorer doesn't get WM_DEVICECHANGE message, would it be possible to access the newly mounted drive through Windows API functions?
Posted: 05/23/2012 23:22:09
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Ilia Fischer wrote:
So in case I don't need MntNtf.dll functionality - reboot will not be required on the first install. Is that correct?

As I mentioned above, reboot will be required if the driver could not be copied to its permanent place (eg. if it is loaded and used right now).

MntNtf.dll (btw its current name is CbFsMntNtf3.dll) is used to broadcast WM_DEVICECHANGE notification when the mounting point was added in another user session (eg. from the service). When the mounting point is added in the same session (eg. by GUI application), WM_DEVICECHANGE is sent by the OS within the session and Explorer will get it anyway.

Ilia Fischer wrote:
Another question is about MntNtf.dll (to confirm that I can live without it) - if Explorer doesn't get WM_DEVICECHANGE message, would it be possible to access the newly mounted drive through Windows API functions?

Yes, Windows API functions will be able to access the device. Note that MntNtf.dll also deals with custom drive icons in Explorer.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 1759 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!