EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

MetaDataCache and case sensitive file names

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 02/29/2012 05:52:37
by Stanisław Jankowski (Priority Standard support level)

Hello!

I found that the case sensitive file names are handled correctly only if the :

DisableMetaDataCache(true);

is set in my code.

I have files:
BILL.txt
bill.txt

When MetaDataCache is disabled, then i can open both BILL.txt and bill.txt and everything is ok.

When MetaDataCache is enabled then i can open the right file first time (i.e BILL.txt). Then I suppose that it is written to cache. Then when i open bill.txt i see the content of the BILL.txt again.

I think the MetaDataCache can not distinguish two file names when one is uppercase and the other is not.

The same situation is when i am using SftpDisk sample.

I am using .NET edition of CallbackFS in Visual Studio 2010 and .NET framework 4.0 on Windows 7 64bit.

best regards,
Staszek
Posted: 02/29/2012 07:00:46
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Case sensitive file names are not supported by CallbackFS at least now. It seems it's possible to add this feature but many (or most) programs for Windows doesn't expect the file name to be case sensitive.
Could you say why it's necessary for you?
Posted: 02/29/2012 07:09:57
by Stanisław Jankowski (Priority Standard support level)

The answer is simple. I need to present to the Windows users files that are stored on Linux file system.

In the other words i need to connect my file system (similiar to SftpDisk) to OpenSSH server. And I need that Windows user can play correctly with files that are uploaded to Linux storage by Linux users (using other software).

I see that everything is ok when MetaDataCache is disabled. So maybe it is not a lot of work for you to make MetaDataCache case sensitive?

Staszek
Posted: 02/29/2012 09:08:33
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

It is not a lot of work to switch behavior, however it will take long to ensure that this doesn't break other applications.

We will add a property to switch case-sensitivity in CBFS 4.0. Meanwhile you can simply disable MetaDataCache.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/29/2012 09:11:38
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Vladimir points that disabling MetaDataCache is not enough cause when two files are attempted to be opened, only one file will be actually opened. So waiting for CBFS 4 or purchasing a source code license are the only options.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1087 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!