EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

What impact does setting File ID have?

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 10/13/2011 16:54:37
by Ben Schwarz (Standard support level)

Our callback filesystem is based on the Mapper sample, and I noticed that much like Mapper, we never set the File ID on a GetFileInfo callback (or rather, we always set it to 0). What is the ID used for? If we set it, can CbFs take advantage of it? I have also noticed that GetFileNameByFileID callbacks are never called -- is this normal?
Posted: 10/13/2011 23:55:31
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

This functionality was necessary for some specific Windows stuff to work. I don't remember details now (it could be Unix services or something equally special) but normally this functionality is not needed. Note that if you have a DB-based backend storage with integer record ID, then handling these events is trivial and it makes sense to implement them (it's just a 10 minutes of work :). However, investing serious efforts without particular need probably doesn't make sense.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Topic viewed 673 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!