EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

.net Large object heap

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 10/05/2011 09:36:49
by Pol R (Basic support level)

I used eldos and notice that in some cases the CBFS "try to write" or "request to read" buffers larger than c# large object heap which cause memory fragmentation and other problems.

Are you aware to this issue? How do you handle it?

Posted: 10/12/2011 08:30:03
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Not sure that I understand the question.

The driver attempts to read or write as much data (in one call) as the application wants. It knows nothing about large object heap, neither do we.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/12/2011 09:22:03

Let me explain some details. The driver maps the memory block which it received from requesting application back to the user space. This is unmanaged memory. .NET event handler must receive a managed block. So the .NET API code allocates a managed buffer of required size and passes it to the event handler. There seems to be no way to turn unmanaged memory block into managed array of bytes. If there is some - please let us know and we'll gladly use it.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/13/2011 03:58:18
by Ohad B (Basic support level)

Let me try to clarify it.
LOH is a part the garbage collector mechanism in .net

To summarize the issue , when you allocate in .net buffers larger than 85K bytes this memory is allocated in the LOH area which usually cause performance degradation over time and eventually out of memory exception even thou the process is far of reaching it maximum capacity.
The standard way to solve it is to use pre-allocated object pool - this solution fit when you repeatedly send buffers of the same size which I don't think is exactly the case here.
It seems like in your case you should divide the original buffer to small buffers smaller than 85K in your un managed code and than send these smaller buffer one by one to the managed code ( of course while reading you should do the opposite and assemble all the parts you got from the user mode to one buffer)

Posted: 10/13/2011 06:21:27

Thank you for clarification. I will add your suggestion to the wishlist and we will most likely implement it in future. I can't say that it will be fast (i.e. not within a week, probably), but will be done.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Topic viewed 1460 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!