EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Install cbfs driver during Windows Installer XML (WIX) Setup

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 09/12/2011 04:35:08
by Andreas Truar (Basic support level)

I'm trying to define a WIX Installer Project to automatic install the cbfs driver during the Installation process. I want to use the Install DLL (cbfsinst.dll) to execute the driver installation.
Can someone provide me WIX-XML Code or an WIX- Sample how to use the Install DLL of cbfs.
Thank You, your sincerely, Andreas
Posted: 03/14/2012 15:53:47
by Simon Coghlan (Standard support level)

Posted: 03/15/2012 01:50:57
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Simon, have you tried anything already?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/15/2012 16:06:35

Nothing yet, I have done several complex C# Wix (3.5) CA Dll's in the past (msi Updates, IIS control, etc) and thought, that as this has an installer DLL, that someone might have already done a CA Wix script that uses that code already. If not, I'll have to discover how myself, and report back on whatever I find.

Posted: 11/11/2012 02:22:49

Seems like when the install function is called, the flag is returned for a reboot correctly;
- The dialog for the "Allow driver to install" is not shown
- The service is not actually available when reboot is finished (Confirmed by the Mapper sample application)
And during an uninstall call the same is returned (i.e. API success and reboot required)
- I did this as C++ custom action
- the cab and API calls are done as part of a resource extraction from the CA.dll
- The cab contents are verified as a re the helper dll contents
- Calls are done during the server exec mode of the installer (i.e. they have full admin and server privilege state)
- MSI Logging confirms that all actions returned success
Posted: 11/11/2012 03:02:01

I am not sure that I understand what exactly you want to say - are you saying that calling from Wix doesn't work in opposite to other installation ways OR you say that installation doesn't work at all?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/11/2012 04:29:28

Thanks for the reply Eugene.
Seems like it was a typo on my side.
In the mapper application, the module name has to be the "Exactly" the same as the install module name.
i.e. the module name used in the API's CallbackFileSystem.Install(...) and CallbackFileSystem.GetModuleStatus( ... )

So after some further tests, the Eldos Dialog now shows up (Not sure what stopped it before).

So I just need to make the CustomAction DLL a little more generic (i.e. to take the modulename) and I will then be in a position to publish the code.
Would you like it (to include into the sample), or should I just put it into Codeplex ?
Posted: 11/11/2012 04:30:55

Thank you very much for details. I am very glad that the issue is solved.

If you permit, we will be happy to include the snippet to Samples folder with proper credits.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/11/2012 05:02:02

Should the example project be sent via the helpdesk email ?
Posted: 11/11/2012 05:32:27

Yes, please.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.

Topic viewed 4051 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!