EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Kill application on Fail/Hang

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 07/13/2011 10:19:13
by Daniel Wehrle (Priority Standard support level)

In case the application CBFS is failing (due to internal errors of our code) I got sometimes a compleate hang up of the explorer. The process is running as an Windows Service and can not be stopped.

Is there any possibility to kill the application in this case? Or to reset all timeouts? We use a 12 min timeout but in case OnStop is called a shorter temination of the process would be good.

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted: 07/14/2011 05:49:33
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

I think it's possible to restart the service somehow. Look for it in google. So you can create a watchdog process which will monitor activity of the service and kill (restart) it if it's necessary.
Another way - set the timeout value to some lesser value and use the CallbackFileSystem.ResetTimeout method from the callbacks when it's necessary to get more time for callback processing.
Posted: 07/14/2011 10:34:46
by Daniel Wehrle (Priority Standard support level)

My Problem is, that in this cases even a kill to the process did not work. By stopint the windows Service I try to reset all within the OnStop Method but the application seams not to terminate.

Even in case I restart the computer it hangs and the only way is to reset it.
Posted: 07/15/2011 01:42:43

Perhaps one or several of the process threads are not terminated. For example some code in the callbacks is calling a system API which waits non-alertably in kernel mode for some operation to complete. So check if all of the callbacks have finished processing when you kill the app.
Posted: 09/19/2011 11:43:54
by Oleg Savelos (Standard support level)

I am also running in the same problem where explorer and other process hang occours. But shouldnt driver timeout the callback? I have tried setting the timeout in mount method but that didnt really helped avoiding the situation.
Posted: 09/20/2011 01:23:32

Timeouts should help. But in order to do any conclusions we should know the real reason of the problem. So it would be nice if you gave us a memory dump of your system at the time the hang occurred.
In order to do it perform the following:
1. Set in the system to generate the "kernel" (or "complete") type of dump. The "complete" type is even better, but on some systems it isn't easy to set. Here is an instruction how to do it -
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/...-bsod.html
2. At the time the hang occurs run the attached utility (it's called "BANG!" and was taken from here - http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?article=153) and press there the big red button to manually generate the system crash.
3. Then reboot the machine, zip the generated crash dump, and send it to us.

Thanks.

[ Download ]
Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1767 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!