EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Mount Notification Component & AVG virus checker

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 06/23/2011 11:33:50
by Jeff Mancuso (Standard support level)

We're running the 3.2 pre-release version of CBFS and some of our customers are letting us know that AVG virus [and some other virus checker] are complaining that the mount notification component is registering as a browser helper object [BHO] and is getting marked as Malware.

1. Why is this being set up as a BHO? That seems odd
2. Have you seen this, any thoughts?

-Jeff
Posted: 06/23/2011 12:09:01
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Jeff Mancuso wrote:
Why is this being set up as a BHO? That seems odd

This is the best (if not only) way to have some DLL loaded by Explorer on startup. If you see better alternatives, you are welcome to tell us.

Jeff Mancuso wrote:
Have you seen this, any thoughts?

If you don't mount your disk from a service then you don't need this DLL, so just don't install it. Otherwise you have to live with this. Alternatively you can write your own mechanism for being notified about changes in the device list (for example query the list of devices once a second and broadcast notifications in user session).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/23/2011 12:51:06

BTW custom icons for CBFS disks in Explorer work via this DLL as well.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/24/2011 09:08:37
by Jeff Mancuso (Standard support level)

This is the best (if not only) way to have some DLL loaded by Explorer on startup. If you see better alternatives, you are welcome to tell us.

Don't the network provider dll's also get loaded at Explorer startup? I know winlogin often also loads them.

If you don't mount your disk from a service then you don't need this DLL, so just don't install it. Otherwise you have to live with this.

Can you explain a bit more about what you mean with mount a disk from a service?

Alternatively you can write your own mechanism for being notified about changes in the device list (for example query the list of devices once a second and broadcast notifications in user session).

Perhaps I mis-understand the whole purpose of the dll. Is this ONLY purpose to have callbacks fired into our app letting us know when storage is mounted? I had been under the impression it served some role to make the system happier, but perhaps I am misguided in that.

Thanks for the fast response.
Posted: 06/24/2011 09:55:43

Jeff Mancuso wrote:
Don't the network provider dll's also get loaded at Explorer startup? I know winlogin often also loads them.

This won't work for our goal (see below explanation)

Jeff Mancuso wrote:
Perhaps I mis-understand the whole purpose of the dll. Is this ONLY purpose to have callbacks fired into our app letting us know when storage is mounted?

When the driver mounts the drive, user-mode API broadcasts the corresponding WM_DEVICECHANGE message. Explorer handles this message in order to refresh the drive list.

But the message is broadcast only to the same session where the originating code is. So if the drive is mounted by the service, Explorer doesn't receive the message.

MntNtf.dll receives notification by different means and broadcasts WM_DEVICECHANGE message in the session under which it's loaded, which is interactive user session. This makes Explorer know about new or deleted drive.

Another use of MntNtf.dll is to help with custom drive icons in Explorer, as I mentioned before.

So if you don't use these two features (mounting from service and icons), you can live without the DLL.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1923 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!