EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Force file/folder name

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 06/02/2011 09:25:13
by Brent Y (Basic support level)

I am evaluating CBFS to see if it will work for an upcoming project.

What I would like to do is force the names for new files and folders to something specified in code.

So if a user creates a new folder in Windows Explorer, I dont want the name to be 'New Folder', I would like it something else that the user cannot change.

So using the Mapper sample (C#), I put some code in the CbFsCreateFile() method to change the value of FileName. This works ok, but the folder in explorer still shows 'New Folder' until I hit refresh.

Is there a way to tell explorer the new name? Or is there some other way I should be going about this?

Thanks much,
Posted: 06/02/2011 09:37:34
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Use NotifyDirectoryChanges method to tell the OS to re-read the directory. There were several discussions about this method here (please use Search). Note, that the method may not be called right from callback - you need to postpone the notification by queueing the task in some way (send a windows message to main thread or use a separate worker thread for such tasks).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/02/2011 10:17:01

Sorry, I tried searching but could not find what I was looking for. The NotifyDirectoryChanges led me to the right place though. Thanks, works great.
Posted: 06/06/2011 12:01:33

I was able to figure out the folder side of this, but not the file part. If anyone could give me some direction...

How can I dictate the filename when someone does a Save As from an application to a virtual drive? The NotifyDirectoryChanges I think will only work when creating a folder. I don't know of any way to change the filename and then have the application point to the new name and not the original one the user entered in the save as dialog.

There is probably a different approach, but I haven't found it yet.

Posted: 06/06/2011 12:27:37
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Most likely the file name is cached while the file is opened. Not sure if you can change this.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.

Topic viewed 1236 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!