EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

CBFS and DFS(Distributed File System)

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
#15458
Posted: 01/11/2011 15:54:04
by Shawn Jetton (Basic support level)
Joined: 11/03/2010
Posts: 7

I wrote an application using the CBFS which shares a folder on a server. That folder has 4 folders under it which are DFS (Distributed File System). The problem I am having is every once in a while the server seems to lock up all shared folders and any system trying to access a shared folder on that server locks up also.

Anyone running CBFS with DFS? If so are you having any issues?
#15473
Posted: 01/12/2011 08:51:54
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Hello

Are you trying to include CBFS folder in DFS or expose DFS folders via CBFS?
#15503
Posted: 01/14/2011 07:22:31
by Shawn Jetton (Basic support level)
Joined: 11/03/2010
Posts: 7

Quote
plas wrote:
Hello

Are you trying to include CBFS folder in DFS or expose DFS folders via CBFS?


Yes I am. I currently have a folder that I am sharing via the CBFS and the 4 subfolders of that folder are DFS shares.
#15505
Posted: 01/14/2011 10:33:09
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The answer "yes I am" to question "are you trying to ... OR to ... ?" doesn't shed any more light on the topic unfortunately.

CBFS doesn't let you "share folders". CBFS is a driver that helps you map some data that reside somewhere (we don't care where they are) as a windows drive (optionally NTFS folder). This drive (or NTFS folder) can then be shared. BUT you will be sharing not the data that you put into CBFS, but what CBFS exposes (i.e. the disk or NTFS folder).

Right understanding of terminology will help both you and us formulate and solve your problem.


Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
#15507
Posted: 01/14/2011 11:13:10
by Shawn Jetton (Basic support level)
Joined: 11/03/2010
Posts: 7

Ok let me break it down in basic form.
My server has a folder C:\Docustor\ inside of that folder is 4 DFS folders A, B, C & D. I create a CBFS drive "H" that maps to C:\Docustor\.

While trying to stress test the CBFS drive it locks up any shared folders on my server and any system that looks at those shares. So when I run the stress test it will lock up my server. And now if someone tries to save a file to that server their system will lock up too. It's as if the server is still waiting for some information to be sent to it but never gets it.
#15508
Posted: 01/14/2011 11:38:12
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Quote
Shawn Jetton wrote:
I create a CBFS drive "H" that maps to C:\Docustor\.


What is "maps"? As I said above CBFS doesn't "map" anything. CBFS reformats system calls to the file system and passes those calls to your code. It's your code that reads some data from somewhere and writes something other into that somewhere. And *this* is the main place where everything happens. Mapper sample is a sample, not CBFS itself. If you have the problem with Mapper sample on in code that you copied from Mapper sample to your project, - ok, but please specify it explicitly.

Quote
Shawn Jetton wrote:
While trying to stress test the CBFS drive it locks up any shared folders on my server and any system that looks at those shares.


Given that you have server X and development computer Y, where are the DFS folders located and where is CBFS driver loaded?


Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
#15509
Posted: 01/14/2011 11:57:06
by Shawn Jetton (Basic support level)
Joined: 11/03/2010
Posts: 7

Quote
Eugene Mayevski wrote:
Quote
Shawn Jetton wrote:
I create a CBFS drive "H" that maps to C:\Docustor\.


What is "maps"? As I said above CBFS doesn't "map" anything. CBFS reformats system calls to the file system and passes those calls to your code. It's your code that reads some data from somewhere and writes something other into that somewhere. And *this* is the main place where everything happens. Mapper sample is a sample, not CBFS itself. If you have the problem with Mapper sample on in code that you copied from Mapper sample to your project, - ok, but please specify it explicitly.

Yes I am using the mapper sample. It's unchanged (I removed any code I put in for this test to confirm it wasn't that).

Quote
Eugene Mayevski wrote:
Quote
Shawn Jetton wrote:
While trying to stress test the CBFS drive it locks up any shared folders on my server and any system that looks at those shares.


Given that you have server X and development computer Y, where are the DFS folders located and where is CBFS driver loaded?


server_x hosts the c:\Docustor\ folder and runs the Mapper software and has the CBFS drivers installed. Folders A, B, C & D are DFS shares from 4 different servers.

The stress test software runs to 7 client systems for the test.
#15517
Posted: 01/15/2011 10:30:31
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

It's clear now, thank you. We will take a look at the issue somewhere next week. I am not sure if we can easily reproduce the issue, but we'll try.


Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.

Reply

Statistics

Topic viewed 2854 times

Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0




|

Back to top

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!