EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

How can I make a separate umount app?

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 06/28/2013 05:15:12
by Dmitry Novikov (Standard support level)

We have similar (or the same?) problem: some or all mounting threads hang randomly in DeviceIoControl() called deeper in stack from inside CreateStorage(). We mount drives simultaneously via different instances of CallbackFileSystem class in differend threads inside a single process.
(CBFS Driver ver, MSVC 8.0, C++)

I just guessed it might be caused by some non thread-safe code and saw a some confirmation of my guess here by Sangmin Lee:
I found that createstorage() hang within DeviceIoControl() function of following code. There is nothing I can do further. Only refusee is to serialize mount request one by one.

As I understand it was fixed 2 years ago?

I've added serilization of calls to CreateStorage() and problem seems gone. But after some testing I commented out critical section lock and I could not reproduce the problem :(

So could be the bug reintroduced again in the same place?

And do you have any idea (from the experience of fixing it), if it is realy thread-safety problem and so does my workaround make sense?

Thanks! Best regards!
Posted: 06/28/2013 05:18:12
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

It's hard to make any judgement or to give you a definite answer without investigating your problem. You are welcome to create a test case and post it to HelpDesk for investigation. Please see http://sscce.org/ for general guidelines about creating test cases.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/28/2013 08:31:28
by Dmitry Novikov (Standard support level)

Thanks Eugene!

I tried and failed to reproduce it in a separate app. But I found that we have potentially dangerous code in OnMount() callback. Most likely that's the source of the problem.

Topic viewed 6615 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!