EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Username over network share?

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 11/03/2010 14:35:53
by Shawn Jetton (Basic support level)

Can I get the username from the user accessing a file via a drive being shared over the network?

I have my cbfs running on system_1 with the ability to mount the drive. On system_2 I mount my cbfs from system_1 as my H drive. When I access a file on system_2 I need to check the user of system_2 against access rights held in a database.
Posted: 11/03/2010 14:55:44
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Did you use GetOriginatorToken function in CBFS? Try obtaining the token and then extract any information you can reach via this token. Here's a forum topic about GetOriginatorToken.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/03/2010 15:16:53

I tried
IntPtr securityToken = mCbFs.GetOriginatorToken();
WindowsIdentity identity = new WindowsIdentity(securityToken);

But identity.name only returned me the user name of the user logged into the server at the time.

system_1 logged in with user_a
system_2 logged in with user_b

system_1 is running my cbfs application
system_2 has mapped the cbfs drive as H. When openning a file on system_2 I get user_a from identity.name.

I need the username of the person logged into system_2 since they are the one accessing the file.
Posted: 11/03/2010 15:24:11

Nevermind I started appending a log file and I can confirm I am getting the correct user info.. Thank you.

Topic viewed 1022 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!