EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Access is Denied when calling CreateStorage on Windows 7

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 08/05/2010 19:52:54
by Gavin McKay (Standard support level)

Hi folks,

I have just rebuilt a new development machine as a Windows 7 Virtual PC 32-bit and upgraded CBFS to the latest version. I've registred everything as normal (i.e. using InstallDriver) for all required DLLs, however when I call "CreateStorage" I get:

Error 5 - Access is denied

I'm running Visual Studio 2010 as Administrator (i.e. right-click "Run as Administrator" and have also tried the same right-click Run as Admin on the executable itself with the same result.

Anyone seen this before? Any tips on how to debug/diagnose? This code was working successfully on Windows XP with VS 2008 and v3.0.76 of CBFS. The line that breaks is:

I can't step into the CreateStorage() call and the exception is captured via:

catch (ECBFSError err)
MessageBox.Show(this, err.Message(), "CBFS", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error);

so it seems to be CBFS that is throwing the error.
Posted: 08/05/2010 22:15:39
by Gavin McKay (Standard support level)

nm - as usual after I post requesting help, a reboot or two later and it all seems to be working :D

I am partially convinced it was some references referring to previous versions of CBFS on my system. I create a "Resources" project (non-compiling) that I use to maintain copies of DLLs (such as cbfs.cab and cbfsinst.dll). Must have been a couple of mis-matched versions causing the problem.

Nothing to see here people, move along :P

Topic viewed 1883 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!