EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Need help with mstreams

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 07/06/2010 08:23:38
by Marc Duizer (Basic support level)

Best,

It's not very clear for me how to set the memorystream for a virtual file on the fly, I show a list of virtual files from a db but without the memorysteam of the file, i want to do this just before opening the file (like a remote file listing like FTP)
How can I do this?

Best regards
marc
Posted: 07/06/2010 10:14:27
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

You don't. Your task is to put the data to the buffer passed as a parameter of the event handler. It's your decision where you take this data. You can take it from memory stream, from file stream, directly from the database, from network etc.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/06/2010 10:54:09

Thanks for the explanation, van you provide me à example how to do this with a filestream in vb.net, i'm probbably doing something wrong with array.copy implementation.

Kind regards,
Marc
Posted: 07/06/2010 11:32:43

There's VB.NET Mapper sample in Samples folder, did you check it?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/07/2010 05:35:45

Hi Eugene,

Thanks, this issue is solved.
But I have anothor question for you.
When the CbFsSetFileAttributes is triggered, after the CbFsCreateFile event, I don't recieve the original CreationTime of the original file on for example a filecopy function of an existing file on my localsystem, the LastWriteTime and the LastAccessTime will give me the right times but not the creationtime.
Could you explain why this happen and how I can set this to the files original creation time?

Kind regards,

Marc
Posted: 07/07/2010 05:46:29

It just works differently from your expectations. There exists no copy operation as you would think. There exists an operation of creating a file and writing some data to the file. So there's nowhere for the creation time to appear (besides the moment of creation of this, target, file).

*Some* file managers adjust target file dates after copying the file by explicitly changing the attributes. But this doesn't apply to all files.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/07/2010 06:47:37

Hi,

I really understand what you are saying; it seemed to be a logical behavior.
But this could be issue on compliancy, normally you have to save some files for at least 7 years from your creation time, so we want to build an Object Based Hard drive like an archive, but a lot of our customers have already a lot of existing data, which have to migrate to our new platform but all files are getting a new creation time and need the retention calculation from that creation time.

So I’m wondering if you know how some other customers of yours have a workaround for this or how they explain this?

Kind regards,

Marc
Posted: 07/07/2010 15:25:55

This is a question of how to copy the files to prevent the original date. It has nothing to do with CBFS itself. You just need a tool (or file manager) that will copy the files and set original file date on new copies.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1496 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!