EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Possible driver clash with Win7 Activation?

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 04/30/2010 01:50:46
by Chris Schirlinger (Standard support level)

Is there a possibility that the CBFS device drive could be interacting with Windows 7 and causing issues with activation?

We have two machines that have (had) the CBFS driver installed on them. Both were Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. Both have been running and activated since Win7 came out of Beta. Both suddenly failed two days ago claiming they were no longer "Genuine" versions and could not be activated.

It proved impossible to reactivate the machines, even using fresh VALID keys from Microsoft. In fact it was impossible to run the activation software on the machines at all.
When trying to use the program:
Code
SLMGR.VBS

the program would claim it needed elevation (Even through it was run as administrator). Trying to activate via any method all came back with the same Microsoft error, Access Denied (error was 0xc004e003 in most places it displayed it)

We investigated this issue, as there are several possible causes:

• GPO issues, and permission problems on the registry entry HKUsers\S-1-5-20
  • Other programs changing permissions of HKUsers\S-1-5-20
  • Invalid or banned keys
  • Not running the apps as Administrator

All proved negative. (This list isn't complete, even MORE stuff can apparently go wrong with MS Activation, Glee)

One of the references to "Plug-and-Play" GPO causing issues with Microsoft Activation which made me thing maybe the CBFS driver could be responsible, I uninstalled it, but that made no difference.

Eventually I started rolling the restore points on one of the machines back, one at a time, until I hit the restore point for the ELDOS Callback File System. At that point the machine suddenly worked and the key could be activated

The last clue is we have a third machine, same OS, installed the same time, installed the same way but without the CBFS drivers. It has not experienced the same issue and had worked the entire time.

Our program (The handler for the CBFS drive) was not running at the time and we had no mounted drives or anything else, just the CBFS driver installed.

Info:
The link to the group policy (GPO) possible cause.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2008385
Because the Licensing service uses Plug and Play to obtain hardware ID information and binds the license to the computer, this setting can result in an activated system appearing to be out of tolerance. The default permissions of the Plug and Play policy do not grant the Licensing service the appropriate rights to access the Plug and Play service. The Licensing service runs under the Network Service account.

I will continue investigating the problem, mainly because the second machine did not have Restore Points turned on for some reason and is still broken (Nothing we do can get it to activate, we will probably have to reinstall it since it will soon degrade low activation mode and many features will be disabled)

Any ideas how we can check to see if CBFS could be related to this issue at all?
(Note: We are using the latest version 3 of CBFS)
Posted: 04/30/2010 03:41:09
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hello Chris,

It's hardly probable that the CallbackFS driver causes the problem but still try to reproduce the problem by installing the driver again after the Restore Point is restored.
Posted: 04/30/2010 12:41:15
by Eric Dahlvang (Standard support level)

I have also had this problem. I have tried everything I could think of, and everything I could find online...all to no avail. I didn't suspect the CBFS PnP driver until I read this post. Please share your solution when you have figured it out, as I only have 8 days left.
Posted: 04/30/2010 12:57:40
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Most likely Microsoft detects new hardware device and decides that system configuration has changed significantly enough to require re-activation. Eric, what OS was your system running?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/30/2010 13:25:39

I am on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

If I run "slmgr.vbs /ato" in an elevated command prompt, I get Error: "0x80070005 Access denied: the requested action requires elevated privileges."

I've also tried running "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose" and the log file states "Warning 5: Access is denied. Error setting security on ..."

I thought the problem was possibly related to windows 7 for x64-based systems update (KB971033). But, I spent half the day on the phone with Microsoft, and they have no clue what the problem is. My boss didn't want to use a support ticket to resolve this issue, so I've just been hoping something comes up before I am forced to reinstall everything in 8 days.
Posted: 04/30/2010 14:24:24

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
Most likely Microsoft detects new hardware device and decides that system configuration has changed significantly enough to require re-activation.

I am not sure this is the issue, windows is not just requiring activation but claiming the version of windows is not genuine.
In fact you can get into a state where it is not possible to activate the machine, you just get redirected to a Microsoft web page saying your OS was pirated, buy a new one (Deleting the token.bar file fixes this)

I believe this is because the windows tries to run the activation VBS code every once in a while (to check genuine state, check to see if you are allowed updates) and it cannot physically run:
Eric Dahlvang:
If I run "slmgr.vbs /ato" in an elevated command prompt, I get Error: "0x80070005 Access denied: the requested action requires elevated privileges."

We got the same error on the two machines, this is the script responsible for adding keys and activating the machine.

Eric Dahlvang:
I thought the problem was possibly related to windows 7 for x64-based systems update (KB971033)

We thought the same thing, but that patch was applied over a month before the non-genuine issue arose and is still running on the one machine that we rolled back pre-CBFS installation which now works

A note here, I had CBFS version 2.0 running on one machine for months without issues.
Posted: 04/30/2010 15:31:17

We have upgraded our product's install to use cbfs3, and are not having any problems. The only machine with the activation issue is my development machine, the machine on which I installed cbfs3 WITH the new plug and play drive support. (We decided not to go with the PnP in our product.) So, it appears that it isn't just cbfs3, but the PnP portion of the install that is causing the activation issue.

Chris, I assume you also installed cbfs3 PnP support on the two machines?
Posted: 04/30/2010 16:48:23

Eric Dahlvang wrote:
Chris, I assume you also installed cbfs3 PnP support on the two machines?

Yep, sure did, we have the following line of code in our program:
Code
mCbFs.StorageType = CbFsStorageType.stDiskPnP;

Our application was not running over the last few days so I'd guess just activating PnP or using at at some stage could be the cause?

Considering the other way Win7 Activation can fail is due to GPO Plug-and-Play issues, this looks to be suspicious
Posted: 05/04/2010 02:28:27

I can now repeat this issue on demand using sample CBFS programs.

Starting with the following: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Visual Studio 2008 and CBFS version 3 installed (not the driver, just the code/sample apps etc)

I used the VMounter sample code with a single change on line 98, between the call to SetRegisatrationKey() and CreateStorage():
Code
mCbFs.StorageType = CbFsStorageType.stDiskPnP;

• Run VMounter
  • Install the driver
  • Reboot the machine
  • Run VMounter
  • Click Create Storage then Mount then Add
  • Browse to the new Z: drive
  • View one of the sample text files
  • Go back to VMounter, click Delete then Unmount then Delete Storage
  • Reboot the machine

This *THIS* point when your machine reboots it is no longer genuine and cannot be activated

I checked the activation in between EVERY stage listed above and it is only after the last reboot that it fails.
I am unsure if you need to actually browse to the files, I just did so to confirm the VMounter was working

One note: I am using Kaspersky Anti Virus that notes the Plug and Play drive is created and asks if I want to scan it, I say no, but it may be part of the issue since it is obviously doing something with Plug and Play devices

Second Note: Rolling back to a restore point that is created by the CBFS driver installation fixes the issue
Posted: 05/04/2010 02:50:50
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you very much. I'll pass your message to our tester to reproduce the error here.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 24445 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!