EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Windows XP issues

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 04/21/2010 16:44:21
by Eric Dahlvang (Standard support level)

We are coming to the end of implementing the Callback File System's integration into our application, and my boss wants me to ask if it is possible to get around the following two issues somehow:

1)Windows xp has a plus sign next to folders in explorer on network drives. Is there any way to get it to show the plus sign only for folders that actually contain sub folders.

2)For some reason on xp machines, windows explorer doesn't remove from the left pane the temporary folder we place under a directory while we retrieve our data. We are calling NotifyDirectoryChange, yet the list of directories isn't updated in the left pane of explorer. Is this a known issue with windows explorer, or is there anything we can do about it?
Posted: 04/21/2010 18:15:40
by Gavin McKay (Standard support level)

Hi Eric,

I'll try and have a go at answering some of these...

1) Call this a "feature". Network drives are treated differently by Windows Explorer, and in XP in particular I believe Explorer does not try and enumerate sub folders unless you specifically ask it to i.e. by clicking on the sub-folder. This is how it works for me when I access a "real" network drive, and is the same for CbFs as well I believe

2) Can you post the call to NotifyDirectoryChange? And is it disappearing from the right-hand view in Explorer, or does it stay there as well?

NotifyDirectoryChange should only be used if another system is changing your filesystem - sorry if you already knew this! Took me a while to get to grips with it.

Topic viewed 1500 times

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!