EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Custom icons for all folders and files

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 04/07/2010 15:20:18
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Version 3.0 allows you to install and display a custom icon for your virtual disk. Is it possible to have custom icons, not only for the disk itself, but for any folders or files on the virtual disk?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/07/2010 15:21:19
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

This is the task of explorer extension. I know it's possible, yes, but this is a task that goes beyond Callback File System and requires creation of Explorer extension (which is done in user mode). I think that the sites like CodeGuru or CodeProject should have some examples related to this task.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/30/2014 09:37:42
by Richard Hauer (Basic support level)

Explorer requests a desktop.ini file for every folder it encounters. You can set an icon for display in that file. You needn't report it's existence to the user (unless the user creates one), but in the event there isn't one you could supply one from a resource that specifies the icon you want to display. Then when Explorer asks for the icon you'll need to supply that too (also from a resource I would guess).

Haven't tried it but I think that will work.

Otherwise you'll need a shell extension (which should be done in c++ no matter what you read about side-by-side execution of .Net Frameworks in v4+)
Posted: 02/04/2014 18:29:18
by Henri Hein (Priority Standard support level)

desktop.ini allows you to set the icon for that folder, but it does not enable overlay icons. Also, the folder needs to be a system folder for desktop.ini to kick in.

Henri Hein
Software Developer, Bitcasa

Statistics

Topic viewed 2181 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!