EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Questions about PNP device file system with CBFS V3

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 04/06/2010 03:14:03
by giandot (Basic support level)

With version 3 of CBFS, we mounted a PNP device file system and now some questions arise to us:

1 - In the device manager of windows this device shows the cache configured for performance optimization and not for fast extraction. Is it possible to switch this behavior?

2 - Why we need to reboot the PC to have the PNP device working? How we can avoid it?

3 - Is it feasible this PNP device to appear in the safe removal dialog of windows?

Thank you in advance
Posted: 04/06/2010 08:30:05
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

giandot wrote:
1 - In the device manager of windows this device shows the cache configured for performance optimization and not for fast extraction. Is it possible to switch this behavior?

No, it isn't. Because CallbackFS doesn't use this cache at all. Your callbacks implementation can include any caching and optimization.

giandot wrote:
2 - Why we need to reboot the PC to have the PNP device working? How we can avoid it?

Do you mean reboot after the driver installation?

giandot wrote:
3 - Is it feasible this PNP device to appear in the safe removal dialog of windows?

Currently it isn't implemented but it's possible to implement. But please tell me why is it necessary?
Posted: 04/06/2010 09:40:54
by giandot (Basic support level)

Thank you Vladimir. Continuing:

Q1 - In the device manager of windows this device shows the cache configured for performance optimization and not for fast extraction. Is it possible to switch this behavior?

A1 - No, it isn't. Because CallbackFS doesn't use this cache at all.

I don't understand the answer: if CBFS doesn't use this cache, shouldn't it show the fast extraction option instead of performance optimization?

2 - Do you mean reboot after the driver installation?

Yes. For our application it is not allowed to restart the user PC during driver (and application) installation. Is there any way to avoid it?

Q3 - Is it feasible this PNP device to appear in the safe removal dialog of windows?

A3 - Currently it isn't implemented but it's possible to implement. But please tell me why is it necessary?

Our physical devices need to be safely extracted.
Posted: 04/06/2010 10:48:10

giandot wrote:
I don't understand the answer: if CBFS doesn't use this cache, shouldn't it show the fast extraction option instead of performance optimization?

I will investigate this question and answer you later.

giandot wrote:
Yes. For our application it is not allowed to restart the user PC during driver (and application) installation. Is there any way to avoid it?

Actually the problem isn't in the driver itself. It can require reboot only in the case of updating (i.e. if it's already installed and a newer version is being installed). The main problem is the mount notifier dll (see the flag CBFS_MODULE_MOUNT_NOTIFIER_DLL). It always requires reboot (perhaps we will eliminate this problem in future). So if this dll isn't necessary to you (i.e. if you don't create mounting points in other sessions or create them only with the CBFS_SYMLINK_MOUNT_MANAGER flag) then don't install it and this significantly decreases necessity of reboot.
BTW during the driver installation in the case when the parameter SupportPnP is set to true Windows can show a message box with the question something like "The driver cbfs.sys produced by EldoS is being installed. Would you like to continue?". The only way to workaround this message box demonstration is to install the driver without the PnP support.

giandot wrote:
Our physical devices need to be safely extracted.

Now the only way to extract the CallbackFS virtual storages is by the use of CallbackFS API. So it's up to you when to perform the extraction.
Posted: 04/08/2010 08:07:50

Vladimir Zinin wrote:
giandot wrote: I don't understand the answer: if CBFS doesn't use this cache, shouldn't it show the fast extraction option instead of performance optimization?

I will investigate this question and answer you later.

It'll be corrected in the next build.
Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2121 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!