EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

porting from dokan

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 03/29/2010 06:39:40
by giandot (Basic support level)

hi all:

I'm currently evaluting the possibility to use CBFS as a replacement for dokan, which we have used in some of our products. Has anybody a guide or any info or advice about the porting from dokan to CBFS?

Our products are developed using Visual C++ (2005-2008) to work under XP, Vista, and Seven, for 32bit platforms and, in the near future, for 64 bit platforms.

Thank you in advance,
Giancarlo
Posted: 03/29/2010 10:13:23
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for your interest in our products.

At the moment there's no migration guide available, but I will attempt to create one in 2-3 days. Meanwhile you can look at the Using The API section of documentation.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/29/2010 10:35:22

That migration guide would help us greatly to take the decision to move at least one of the products to EldoS, because right now we are specificating for it the next major release.

Thank you for your prompt response,
Giancarlo
Posted: 03/30/2010 07:34:16

Here you will find a short would-be-migration-guide. As I don't know what particular instructions you need, I didn't add anything. If you wish to have something added, please let me know.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/30/2010 07:53:49

Thank you for the short migration guide. It is useful to have a global view of the callback functions, which seems to be a lot more in CBFS.

A question: you wrote many times "callback /event", does it mean that one can develop the application based on callback or based on events?

Thank you in advance,
Giancarlo
Posted: 03/30/2010 08:05:13

giandot wrote:
It is useful to have a global view of the callback functions, which seems to be a lot more in CBFS.

Can you please explain this in 2-3 sentences or write a brief global view as you see it, in the same 2-3 sentences?

giandot wrote:
A question: you wrote many times "callback /event", does it mean that one can develop the application based on callback or based on events?

Nope. Remember that the APIs are provided for different development tools and platforms. The term "callback" is used in native programming, i.e. in C++ and sometimes in Delphi. The term "event" refers to object-oriented programming, and it works slightly differently from callbacks in .NET (in Delphi event is a callback, defined as a property of the class).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/30/2010 08:27:54

I was speaking about the would-be-migration-guide: it has been useful for me, because it gave to me the chance to see the matching functions between dokan and CBFS in a convenient look up table. On it, I also have seen that CBFS offers more functions than dokan.

Due to it, I can conclude that such a porting would be easy.

Now I must investigate more deeply in DBFS documentation, looking for equivalences between parameters of each corresponding function. I'm going to do it because, probably, in the near future I will have to construct a wrapper to our callbacks which permits to use either dokan or CBFS.

Thank you again for the help,
Giancarlo
Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3461 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!