EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Windows 7 (version 3) release date?

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 02/18/2010 21:18:07
by Chris Schirlinger (Standard support level)

I've started working with CFS evaluating it for exposing a database to our customers in various formats (Flat file text databases amongst other things)

The first issue I seem to have come across is the non-support of Win7 in 2.5

While the sample apps compile, they take up to 20 seconds to create storage, mount and create mounting point (and 20 seconds to reverse that process) on a Win7 64bit system. On a Vista machine it's all instant

When is the 3.0 version due out? I am guessing this speed issue is Win7 related or are there other issues that could cause this? (This is with the unaltered sample apps BTW)

The second issue is 32/64 bit compiling and debugging.

I tried compiling (and running) the sample apps in VS.2008 (which is a 32bit app) as Admin on a 64bit WIn7 OS using the 64bit CBFSNet.dll.

The sample runs, can set up the device driver, but when you mount the drive etc nothing ever shows up in Explorer.
Running the SAME app stand alone outside the debugger, it works perfectly (though takes 20 seconds to mount as mentioned above)

I tried compiling using the 32bit CBFSNet.dll but that just crashes when you run it (in the debugger on the 64bit Win7 machine) but did run nicely on a 32bit Vista machine.

Is anyone else doing anything like this and worked out any methods for dealing with the cross bit nightmare?
Posted: 02/19/2010 00:36:04
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

What build of CBFS 2.5 are you using? The latest builds work just fine for us and for our numerous users.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/19/2010 01:03:51

BTW as you just start evaluation, it makes sense to do this with CBFS 3 beta. The reason is that CBFS 3 introduces many breaking changes, and if you target version 2.5 now, you will have to make a number of changes later when it's out.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/19/2010 14:10:20

CBFSBet.dll - 2.5.58.151
cbfs.sys - 2.5.58.155

From the latest ZIP (I just downloaded off your web site a few days ago)

I didn't notice the Beta version of 3.0 on the site, and I've just downloaded that to try

Thanks
Posted: 02/20/2010 02:08:30

Well, please test 3.0 beta on the same system. I guess this is something specific to your particular system, but it's hard to say, what exactly.

Another idea: try to compile and use C++ sample. The problem can be related to Authenticode signature of CBFSNet, which is validated by .NET runtime for a long time.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/22/2010 21:43:16

Another idea: try to compile and use C++ sample. The problem can be related to Authenticode signature of CBFSNet, which is validated by .NET runtime for a long time.

I built the C++ samples and had the same speed issues, 4-7 seconds for each step, create, mount and add mounting point.

This was inside and outside the debugger.

The same apps on a VM on the same machine (Vista 32bit) are instant. The same apps on a different Win7 machine were basically instant

One difference between version 2.5 and 3.0 is that under 2.5, CLOSING down (Unmounting etc) also took 10-20 seconds. Under 3.0 closing is instant
Posted: 02/23/2010 00:34:23

Thank you very much for checking.

This confirms my assumption that you have troubles with your computer. There's nothing to search for in CBFS then.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/10/2010 20:57:59

Just some feedback, the new Candidate 1 for version 3 works like a dream, and the example apps load and create the various storage and mounting points instantly

This is on the same machine which could take 40+ seconds to eventually create a virtual drive
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2182 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!