EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Installation of 2 Programs with two different productnames

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 11/11/2009 06:59:51
by Bastian Moldenhauer (Standard support level)

Hey,

we have two projects which use CBFS and may be installed on the same machine at the same time.
So I ask myself what the parameter Productname in the method
Code
static void InstallDriver( string DriverFileName, string ProductName, ref bool RebootNeeded)
is used for.
Is the driver-installation/OS able to distinguish both installations if I use two different productnames?
What will the uninstallation do if I uninstall one of the products and try to uninstall the driver (for this product)?
Thanks.

Regards,
Bastian
Posted: 11/11/2009 07:20:23
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

ProductName is used for counting of references to the driver in the registry. Different ProductNames will ensure that the driver will not be removed when you uninstall one of programs while another one is installed.

Unfortunately, ProductName doesn't help much in case of helper DLLs. It is likely that we will update the installer in version 3.0 to have reference counting for helper DLLs as well.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/11/2009 07:42:42

Great for the driver, but bad for the helper.dlls ;)
Would be great if you could also do this for the helper dlls.

Regards,
Bastian
Posted: 11/11/2009 09:37:04

Developers have corrected me, saying that in DLL installation functions ProductName is also taken into account.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/11/2009 09:49:52

So this means there should be no problem in installing the driver more than once?
Great

Regards,
Bastian
Posted: 11/11/2009 09:56:43

Driver and helper DLLs are different entities and they are installed and maintained in the system differently. But there should be no problem with both.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/11/2009 11:10:49
by Tim Hayes (Standard support level)

So, let me get this one straight.

I have been concerned about installing my application in an environment that already has CBFS installed. Am I to understand that, as long as the product name is different, then there would be no conflict? In particular, no conflict of different CBFS Versions????

Thanks
Posted: 11/11/2009 12:02:29
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Tim Hayes wrote:
... Am I to understand that, as long as the product name is different, then there would be no conflict?

Yes.

Tim Hayes wrote:
In particular, no conflict of different CBFS Versions????

No, the latest version of the driver and the helper DLLs will be installed and both products will use the latest version of the driver and the helper DLLs.
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3181 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!