EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

CbFs and Windows service question

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 10/01/2009 15:55:04
by Sid Schipper (Standard support level)

My application runs as a Windows Service. It mounts global drives that all users can see through Windows Explorer. The CbFs callback routines exist, therefore, in the address space of the service.

When a user looks at a virtual drive using Explorer, the way I understand what happens is that the CbFs Windows Kernel Driver will execute the callback routine, which is in the address space of my Windows Service, but it will execute it under a thread that either exists in the Kernel Driver itself, or in the user's address space.

If my understanding is correct, then what would happen if the user is executing something that takes a long time, like a file copy, and I use the Windows Service Manager to terminate my service? Would that cause some sort of exception in your kernel driver? And if so, what do you suggest I do to prevent this from happening?
Posted: 10/01/2009 18:55:28
by Sid Schipper (Standard support level)

Never Mind! I think I figured out the problem I had on my own. Thank you anyway.

Topic viewed 1221 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!