EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

CBFS as Frontend for WEB based DMS

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 09/04/2009 01:55:15
by Thomas Bach (Basic support level)

First of all, sorry about my bad english. I hope, you can understand my question.

We are developing a web-based DMS system based on Adobe Coldfusion. Our goal is storing documents with own rights, meta-fields and different views to break the problems of a file system.

The system works fine, but only in a web browser. And there is a problem for downloading and uploading files from a native client. It may be possible to develop some Office Integrations, individual Browser, multi-file upload Plug-ins and so on.

But we try to implement the system also in the file-system of any windows based client so that the user can store files from any application without any aditional actions.

We hzave deveolped some web-services returning files and meta-infos form the DMS. And with cbfs, it´s possible for us to create a VFS with this structure at the local client.

But the problem is to upload the file, when the user store in this fs.

I have´nt found the right point to see, which file is saved last from which application and especially, at what time the fiie is completely saved so i can start my own function for declare some meta-infos and uploading the file.

My idea is:

When a file completely stored in a specific folder, i must start a function to make some chaecks with web-services, if this file is newer, checked out and so on, then i must open a form for the user to store some additional informations an finnaly, i must start a web-service for transferring this file to the server.

Is this possible with cbfs and can anybody give me some hints how i can solve this?

Regards

Thomas
Posted: 09/04/2009 02:10:21
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

So you want to cache some data locally, and when the operations with the file are over, upload it to your DMS. This is simple (in most cases) - in OnCloseFile callback / event handler you notify your worker thread, that file writing is complete, and the worker thread performs file upload.

More complicated questions are

1) what to do with outlook .pst files and similar files, which are kept opened for a long time and are modified in place. The solution might be to create some temporary file in the DMS and upload the changes there (unless your local cache is large), then rename the file in the DMS when this file is closed locally.

2) what to do with MS Office, which produces several temporary files as described here.

In first case you can develop some strategy such as "if the file is not closed for over 2 minutes, upload the modified blocks", or something like that.

In case of MS Office you need to pay attention to RenameOrMove operation and files with Temporary attribute. Otherwise, the task is not too complicated.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/04/2009 03:03:41

Eugene,

thanks for the quick reply.

PST-Files are not the problem because i think, that a good configured mail system should not work with pst ;-). And also ther should not stored on a dms.

For Office, maybe we develope a separate integretaion if we can´t find any solution for the temp-files

But for the OnClose file event: I have tried it with this event, but my problem is, that i can´t recognize, if the close event is fired for an file or an directory. I traced the output and i have seen, that by saving the file the close event is fired for all directories ind the vfs. And i have´nt found any info ind FileInfo, if the event is fired for the file.

Regards

Thomas
Posted: 09/04/2009 03:30:24

Temporary files are not the problem, they are just the factor that you need to take into account.

As for OnClose event: when the file is opened, you can set UserContext data, which is passed to all consequent event handlers. And there you can store whatever information you need, including the name of the file that was opened and it's attributes.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/04/2009 04:07:55

Can you give me some additional hinst about using Usercontext?

I can´t find anything in the help file and also in the samples.

Reagrds

Thomas
Posted: 09/04/2009 04:26:32

Please be more attentive. The reference to the topic about contexts is present in all topics where user contexts are mentioned. Also all samples use these contexts.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/04/2009 04:30:00

guilty :-(
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3779 times

Number of guests: 4, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!