EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows XP

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 08/21/2009 13:24:32
by Sid Schipper (Standard support level)

Hello, everyone. Its been a long time since I've posted a message on this Forum. I hope all of you are doing well.

My question has to do with the differences in your driver for the different Windows operating systems. In many of your older posts, Vladimir Zinin states that there is no need to have a different driver for Windows Vista vs. Windows XP. Is that true of Windows 7 also?

Also, I would like Vladimir to elaborate on that statement a little bit if he could. Why? I am aware of the Windows DDK that you are probably using to develop your driver and I know that it has different compilations for the different operating systems. If that is true, then how does your software account for that?

One of the reasons I am asking this is that our application never worked correctly on Vista. The manifestations of the errors were extremely intermittent and included things like Windows Explorer eventually getting an exception after running our application for a long time. Other errors included not being able to delete files from our virtual disk and other errors that I don't remember now, since it has been a long time since I looked at these problems. We do not use Windows Vista, but are concerned that many of these problems may manifest themselves on Windows 7, which we do plan to use.

Any insights you may have in this area would be appreciated.
Posted: 08/21/2009 13:46:36
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Windows 7 has not been released yet, and Callback File System 2.x doesn't support it (we just blocked possibility to run it on Windows 7). Callback File System 3.0 will target Windows 7.

You are right that XP and Vista behave very differently in many aspects, and the reason is that Vista breaks many aspects of functionality which worked fine since NT 4. There are various workarounds and different code blocks for Windows 2000/XP and Vista. In Windows 7 Vista-based code will be executed unless some other changes are required. When CBFS 3.0 beta is available, you will be able to check how it behaves in your environment and in your project.

As usually, I need to remind you that we can't fix the bugs which happen only for you and not for us and other customers. If you get a problem such as "not able to delete a file", please report it instead of ignoring it. When people report problems to our helpdesk, we fix those problems as soon as possible. Although I must say that there are not much reports these days and many customers deploy their products, based on CBFS, without single support call. This means that many issues are specific to some particular usage scenarios (which sometimes are either not correct, or just not possible under Windows). So if you have an issue, your participation is required in order to solve it. The issue won't go away in a magical way.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/24/2009 10:35:06

Thank you for the reply, Eugene.

As I said in my original message, the reason we ignored the Vista problems is that we do not use Vista. But, after reading your reply I have decided to install Vista on a spare laptop and try to help you diagnose the problems we encountered previously.

When I get something to report I will either post a message here or contact your help desk.

Thank you for all your help in the past, you guys are great!
Posted: 08/24/2009 11:15:02

Sid Schipper wrote:
As I said in my original message, the reason we ignored the Vista problems is that we do not use Vista. But, after reading your reply I have decided to install Vista on a spare laptop and try to help you diagnose the problems we encountered previously.

When I get something to report I will either post a message here or contact your help desk.

That would be great, thank you very much

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/03/2009 14:24:05

Well, I have done some more testing on Windows Vista and I have seen some errors that seem to be related to whether I compile my application on Windows Vista or not. In other words, when I compile my application on Vista, everything seems to work OK, but if I compile my application on XP it doesn't seem to work. I can't say at this point that CbFs is the culprit, there may be something within my application that is causing the problem, I will look into it further and get back to you. Meanwhile, if you know of any issues with compiling on Vista vs. compiling on XP I'd appreciate a post about them. By the way, I use the

C:\Program Files\EldoS\Callback File System\CPP\VC2005\32bit\static_runtime(MT)

folder as my cbfs include folder and the corresponding Lib folder for my cbfs lib folder. I don't think this is an issue, but when I tried switching to the dynamic_runtime folder I got all sorts of compilation errors.
Posted: 09/04/2009 00:29:47

The problem might be related to the versions of MSVC runtime, installed on your computers. It can be that XP system has newer files, than Vista, and then the XP-compiled program will cause problems. This can happen if on XP Windows Update has installed the newer files.

There was a problem recently on my system, when some update has silently updated MSVC library files and this caused .NET assemblies to not work on computers of other people (those assemblies worked fine on my system though. I had to delete MSVC folder and restore it from backup.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/07/2009 12:22:23
by Walt Giroir (Basic support level)

In reviewing the technical specifications for CBFS, it now states that Windows 7 is supported.
Is this indeed the case now with CBFS 2.5?

#

* Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit AMD64 and 64-bit Itanium)
* Windows 2008 Server (32-bit, 64-bit AMD64 and 64-bit Itanium)
* Windows Vista (32-bit, 64-bit AMD64 and 64-bit Itanium)
* Windows 2003 Server (32-bit, 64-bit AMD64 and 64-bit Itanium)
* Windows XP (32-bit, 64-bit AMD64 and 64-bit Itanium)

# Microsoft .NET Framework on Windows:

* .NET 3.5 (32-bit, 64-bit AMD64 and 64-bit Itanium)
* .NET 3.0 (32-bit, 64-bit AMD64 and 64-bit Itanium)
* .NET 2.0 (32-bit, 64-bit AMD64 and 64-bit Itanium)
* .NET 1.1

Posted: 12/07/2009 13:31:32

Due to certain delays with version 3 (we planned to have it ready by the time Windows 7 is released), we did the thorough testing of CBFS 2.5 (build 55) on Windows 7 and didn't find any problems with it.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3502 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!