EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 08/03/2009 11:24:49
by Steven Crouchman (Standard support level)

Is it possible to enable sharing when creating a drive mount? I know the entire drive can be shared when creating a network mounting point but any attempt to share a folder for a normal mounting point fails.
Posted: 08/04/2009 01:27:09
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

You can share the entire disk as well as some folder inside it either manually or by means of system API (such as NetShareAdd, etc).
Posted: 08/31/2009 09:17:54

Sorry only just got back round to looking at this.

Can you supply a sample app where this works? As I have tried your sample apps on XP, Vista and 7 and whenever I try and share part of it I get 'An error occurred while trying to share New Folder. The device or directory does not exist'.
Posted: 09/01/2009 05:17:48

The problem is because mounting points created by the sample applications are local. They are created in the session-specific namespace and isn't visible by the system code that supports network sharing, which works in the system session. So create the global mounting points. For do it just correct the LocalLink parameter for the AddMountingPoint function.
Posted: 09/01/2009 05:49:16

Oh yes that makes perfect sense now you mention it. Tried it and it does work, though we cant have global mount points so I expect it will never work for us.

Thanks for your help
Posted: 09/01/2009 05:59:57
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

But sharing is done by the system, so the only other way is to create a mounting point for system session.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/01/2009 06:08:47

Also you can create a private mounting point (not a drive letter but for instance "qwerty") and then create a share by means of the NetShareAdd API. In this case the mounting point won't be visible.
Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Topic viewed 2308 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!