EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

How do I enable Windows Search for a CBFS disk?

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 04/10/2009 15:31:38
by Kurt Griffiths (Standard support level)

When mounting a drive via AddMountingPointEx, I can select it in the Windows Search Indexing Options, but the indexer finds no files on the drive to index, even though browsing the disk via Windows Explorer shows that it does have files.

Does anyone know of anything that would prevent Windows Search from finding files on the disk? Other programs seems to be able to enumerate the files on the disk just fine.
Posted: 04/11/2009 13:43:36
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Most likely indexing is not done on non-local drives OR drives which are not physical non-removable devices. If the first is the reason, then you can discover this yourself and decide what to do. As for the second, CBFS 3.0 will have a pnp driver which will emulate a physical device.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/13/2009 15:26:24
by Kurt Griffiths (Standard support level)

I discovered that indexing works when I set the filesystem name to FAT32 instead of NTFS. For future reference, I found this information about how Windows Search works:

"WDS 3.01 indexes all drives that specify themselves as either DRIVE_Fixed or DRIVE_REMOVABLE from the WIN32 API GetDriveType Function, except floppy drives. WDS can also index digital cameras, card readers, thumb drives, and firewire drives as long as they identify themselves as removable drives.

"Natively, WDS 3.01 indexes NTFS drives with notifications, which means that a notifications provider notifies WDS that data on the drive has changed so WDS can update its index. WDS also natively supports FAT drives, but without notifications. In this case, WDS periodically crawls the drive looking for changes in data.

"If you install the optional UNC protocol handler, WDS indexes UNC share, FAT32 drives and FAT drives with notifications."

Posted: 04/14/2009 02:08:12
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Thanks for the information. We will take it into account.
Posted: 04/14/2009 10:15:02
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you very much for your message. I will create a FAQ topic based on it.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Topic viewed 2993 times

Number of guests: 4, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!