EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

CbFs and Named Pipes

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 02/12/2009 17:52:05
by Sid Schipper (Standard support level)

My application uses CbFS and it also uses Named Pipes to communicate between the client and server portions of the application. Has anybody ever experienced conflicts or wait states or any other troubles with CbFs and named pipes? I am experiencing a problem right now that is difficult for me to determine what exactly the cause is, so I can't really attribute it to CbFs, but I thought I'd go fishing here a little bit to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.
Posted: 02/13/2009 01:03:37
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Sure such problems can be. For example if some system component locks some system synchronization primitive and performs a call to CallbackFS disk. This causes that some CallbackFS is called. And if your use a pipe there and on the other side of the pipe the thread performs some system calls that is internally trying to acquire the same synchronization primitive then a deadlock occurs.
Because of high cohesion of file systems with other system components in Windows, it is necessary to avoid making actions that are directly or indirectly bring to the situation described above. Such actions for example are: creation new processes, calling GUI components. But sure it is possible to make any of such call asynchronously (i.e. request another thread to make a work and finish the callback without waiting for result).

Topic viewed 1929 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!