EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

User session mounting points on Vista

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 01/16/2009 09:03:31
by Ian Colomby (Priority Standard support level)

When using the AddMountingPointEx(DriveLetter, true) method to create a mounting point for user session on Windows Vista SP1 x32 the drive does not show up in Windows Explorer. If I use AddMountingPoint(DriveLetter) or AddMountingPointEx(DriveLetter, false) the drive shows up fine and works properly.

Sometimes I will see a drive icon the treeview of Explorer on Vista with no drive letter and a question mark overlay on the disk drive icon. When selecting that drive I get an error saying that this drive is unavailable.

I'm using .NET 2.0 with VS2005. Using the C# Mapper sample provided. I'm also using the latest version of the driver 2.1.44.117.

Thanks, Ian.
Posted: 01/16/2009 12:08:03
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hi,

Do you call AddMountingPointEx(true) from the elevated process (that was "run as admin")? If so then the mounting point is created in the administrator session (run explorer as elevated and you will see it).
Posted: 01/16/2009 12:43:52
by Ian Colomby (Priority Standard support level)

I tried running it 2 ways I tried running the Mapper sample from the VS2005 IDE. I started the by right clicking and choosing "Run as administrator". I also did the "Run as administrator" on the Mounter.exe from Windows explorer itself. Both didn't mount the drive.

Ian.

Posted: 01/16/2009 16:28:46
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Ian Colomby wrote:
I started the by right clicking and choosing "Run as administrator". I also did the "Run as administrator" on the Mounter.exe from Windows explorer itself. Both didn't mount the drive.

The mounting point is created but in another session (associated with the elevated administrator). That's why it isn't visible in explorer. But for example run "cmd" as "run as administrator" and you will be able to access the created virtual disk via this mounting point.

If a program that calls AddMountingPointEx(DriveLetter, true) is started without "run as administrator" then the mounting point will be created in the current session. I've checked it with the Mapper sample and a mounting point was created successfully.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2151 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!