EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Slow unmount of drive

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 01/15/2009 07:51:35
by Dan Cooper (Basic support level)

I've noticed sometimes (on particular machines) that the unmount command takes quite a long time to execute. This is not usually a problem until the machine is shutting down, if it takes longer than 5 seconds (sometimes it takes 30sec - 1 min) then the user is prompted to kill the application which does not look good.

Has anyone else experienced this slow unmount?
Posted: 01/15/2009 08:46:01
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hi,

Maybe a lot of noncached data exists when the unmounting is started. Could you say what callbacks are called during that time?
In order to decrease the noncached data you can periodically flash it by means of the CallbackFileSystem.ReleaseUnusedFiles call. It must be called only outside the callbacks.
Posted: 01/15/2009 08:49:41
by Dan Cooper (Basic support level)

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's the amount of noncached data, I say this because on the machines it happens on, it will happen immediately after the drive has been mounted before we have run any filesystem operations. The strange thing is that it does not happen on all machines but the ones it happens on it seems to happen all the time.

Posted: 01/15/2009 09:09:41
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

I was wrong - instead of "noncached data" read "nonflashed data".

But please check whether some callbacks are called during the unmounting.

Dan Cooper wrote:
I've noticed sometimes (on particular machines) that the unmount command ...
Do you mean CallbackFileSystem.UnmountMedia method is the reason of the waiting?

Statistics

Topic viewed 2120 times

Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!