EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Notification of Drive Mount

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 12/09/2008 05:02:16
by Tim Hayes (Standard support level)

It appears to take Windows several seconds after the drive is mounted, before Windows reacts and displays the new drive in the shell window. This is no different to plugging in a USB memory stick.

However, I want my program to be able to open a shell window once the drive is mounted. What might be the best way to recognise that the drive is now mounted?

Posted: 12/09/2008 05:34:50
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

You can use ShellExecute/ShellExecuteEx to show a new Explorer window after a virtual drive has been created.
For recognizing that the drive is mounted try for example to enumerate files on it using the win32 api FindFirstFile.
Posted: 12/09/2008 05:42:25
by Tim Hayes (Standard support level)

Thanks, I can open the window OK with ShellExecute, the problem is identifying that the drive is mounted and recognised by Windows. I don't want to be stuck in a permanent loop looking for it. I guess I need some sort of shell notification event?
Posted: 12/09/2008 09:07:26
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

There is a windows message that is sent (broadcasted) after the mounting point is created. It's WM_DEVICECHANGE. But this message is sent by our code that creates mounting point.
So if it's not possible to open an Explorer window right after a mounting point creation then I see only a way with polling the storage in loop.

Topic viewed 1904 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!