EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Explorer Tooltip Info Causes File Hit

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 11/09/2008 15:25:14
by Scott Thede (Standard support level)

I am using the CFS to simulate a local drive, that is actually a bunch of files on a remote server.

I have created my CFS drive as a network drive, since this is suppose to improve performance, when it comes to things like thumbnails.

When someone needs to load a file, I have to actually go out and download the file to the persons computer. Which is fine.

However, when a user is browsing using Explorer, and they park their cursor over a picture file, or any other type of file, Explorer wants to read the file, to get various bits of info about it. This is causing me to go and download the entire file, to make it available for Explorer to look at.

This is OK for small files, but if someone happens to pass their mouse over a 100 Meg file, this is going to cause problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this situation? Is there a way to recognize these situations and prevent them, or handle them differently, than a "real" request to open a file?

Thanks for your help.
Posted: 11/09/2008 23:55:37
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The requests Explorer makes are not different from the "regular" open/read operations.

Try using AddNetworkMountingPoint instead of AddMountingPoint. This should reduce the number of calls Explorer makes to the file.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/10/2008 00:34:13
by Scott Thede (Standard support level)

Thank you for the reply.

I am already creating my CFS drive as a network drive.

Is there a way to identify these particular opens/reads from Explorer?

Does everyone else that use CFS, with remote data, have the same problem?

Posted: 11/10/2008 02:00:59
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

I think it's not necessary to read the whole file. Explorer requests only some part of it - just a resource information. So in a case when the originator of the file Open request is "explorer.exe" you can start caching the resource information for the file and return it to Explorer immediately from a local cache on the following Read request. Or start such caching even earlier at the time when Explorer opens the parent directory for a file. It does it before the directory enumeration. So in this time you can start caching the resource information for files in the directory. Sure, it should be done asynchronously.

Scott Thede wrote:
Is there a way to identify these particular opens/reads from Explorer?

Perhaps using some heuristic methods...

Statistics

Topic viewed 2175 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!