EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Case Sensitivity of file names

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 10/06/2008 14:25:42
by Sid Schipper (Standard support level)

I have noticed in my debugging logs that the file names passed in to the callback functions sometimes are all upper case and other times are not. Is it CBFS that determines this? or is it Windows?
Posted: 10/06/2008 15:12:17
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

There is a parameter for Windows file systems that specifies whether file names are case sensitive or not. In CallbackFS it is statically set to case insensitive. For details of this parameter you can see in MSDN the flag FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH in the FileFsAttributeInformation request.
It's possible to make an api function that will set this flag but I think it is useless because lots of programs "think" that file names in Windows are case insensitive.
Posted: 10/07/2008 16:17:37
by Sid Schipper (Standard support level)

It is not critical to our application, but our database system is case sensitive, so a user can create virtual files in our system outside of the CBFS virtual disk that have the same names but just differ by case.

This is not that much of a problem because most of the time a user who does that is a user of our system on Linux or some other non-Windows operating system. In general our Windows users will either be using our Virtual Disk, in which case they would not be able to create such conflicting file names, or if they have legacy files that are defined like that the results using the Virtual Disk would be unpredictable, but anything they had before (like a Samba server, which is what the virtual disk system is replacing) would also have had the same problem.

So, I repeat, it is not critical to us, but it would be interesting to have the ability to set that flag.
Posted: 10/08/2008 01:09:02

Ok. I will check it and answer you a little later.
Posted: 10/20/2008 08:26:28

Sorry for the delay. I've attached the corrected driver (it has the version Try it with the new beta version of CallbackFS. Your implementation of the OnCreate/OnOpen callbacks must also be case sensitive.

[ Download ]
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Topic viewed 2493 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!