EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Recognize that user cancel file write

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 09/18/2008 08:18:48
by Daniel Wehrle (Priority Standard support level)

Hi,

is there any way to recognize that a write process was canceled by the user?
I just get a CbFsCloseFileEvent in this case followed by CbFsCanFileBeDeleted and CbFsDeleteFile.
But I directly send the file by network after a close, so I need to tell the server to cancel the file. And best way to do this would be to get the information the user canceled the save opperation.

Thanks
-- Daniel
Posted: 09/18/2008 09:55:06
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hello,

I didn't understand the question. Do you want to recognize that a process that was written to a file in a CallbackFS disk canceled the write operation?
Posted: 09/18/2008 10:22:41

Yes.

A sample for this situatuation is, a user copy a large file via the explorer to the drive. After a while he uses the cancel button to abort this process.
In the now occurring CbFsCloseFileEvent I want to have a change to recognize that the write was aborted.

Thanks
-- Daniel
Posted: 09/18/2008 11:17:35
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

For the OS there's no difference who stopped the operation or how it was stopped. The file system will most likely get FileClose and FileDelete commands. What is the reason for your question? What are you trying to achieve?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/18/2008 11:26:31
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

CallbackFS doesn't give such possibility. And more over I think it's difficult to recognize whether a user cancel a copy operation.
Explorer for example can copy file using a cycle and in each iteration it writes small part of the file and after the write operation finishes it checks whether the user pushes a "cancel" button in the "copy file" dialog box. And if so, explorer breaks the cycle and delete the file. And in the CallbackFS callbacks you just see that several OnWrite, then OnClose + OnDelete callbacks were called. There was not any special cancel operation performed (at least on the file system driver level where the CallbackFS driver works).
Posted: 09/19/2008 02:06:08

Ok, thanks.

We archiving to a WebService WORM (Write Once/Read Many) middleware. So we are not able to delete files we send to the middleware.
Now I will implement a little cash to solve the problem.

Thanks,
-- Daniel
Posted: 09/19/2008 14:07:01
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Yes, caching seems to be the only solution.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3502 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!