EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Saving from applications on a Macintosh

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 06/25/2008 08:31:46
by Søren Kristensen (Basic support level)

I have the following problem with the mapper sample in version 2.0.31 when I use it from a Macintosh.

I have made some small changes to the sample:

I have set g_CbFs.SetSerializeCallbacks(true), g_CbFs.SetFileSystemName(L"NTFS") and g_CbFs.AllowDelayedClose(false). This is nessary for the sample to work with the Mac.

On my PC I create a Mac-share on the virtual drive with the "Service for Macintosh". Then I can use the finder to browse files on my virtual drive and all looks fine.

The problem arise when I start using application. When I use PhotoShop (cs2) in the following way I get problems.

1) I create a new Image.
2) I save the image on the virtual drive
3) I change the Image and save
4) I change the Image and save
x) I change the Image and save and get the error "Someone has changed the image".

I have worked with this problem for some time and are geting desperate.

The problem is random sometimes I have to save one time other times 10.

I believe that no one is changing the image (if I repeat on a real drive - no problems).

Any kind of help will be appreciative.

Posted: 06/25/2008 08:56:55

For your information the same problem exist with a version 1.2.25 of the mapper sample.
Posted: 06/25/2008 10:58:16
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Please check that the file system implementation returns the timestamps properly, i.e. all of them are initialized and the values don't change. Also check that the file size is not changed.

What you can also do is save the file to the "real" file system and change one of it's times and/or file size. See how Photoshop reacts to each type of change.
This will let you know, what attributes of the file are checked by Photoshop.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/25/2008 11:19:52

Be aware that it is the mapper sample I am running. And I belive that it is correct regarding timestamps etc. I also have the same problem in our implementation, and here I have checked timestamps and filesizes. I am 99.9% sure that the file does not change. I suspect that it is a problem with streams or the order of the operations.

A save from photoshop is very complex - I guess the number of file operations are ~ 100. It deletes, rename and creates new main file and at least 3 streams.
So it could be a stream that are missing or having wrong data or ????
Posted: 06/25/2008 14:03:43
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Please try to reproduce the bug on the latest build. There was a bug with named data streams in the previous version. So perhaps it causes the problem.

If the problem still exists then we'll try to reproduce and fix it. Please specify the following:
- What version of Windows is being used for running the mapper sample (including whether it's 32 or 64-bit)?
- What version of MacOS are you using?
Thanks.
Posted: 06/26/2008 06:41:17

I have tried the new version (2.0.34) and I get the same error.

I am runing the mapper sample on a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition with Service Pack 2 and it is a 32 bit installation

I have seen the problem with a

Mac OS X 10.4.11 using Photoshop cs2 Version 9.0 and using Illustrator cs2 version 12.0.0

and

Mac OS X 10.5.3 using Photoshop cs2 Version 9.0 and using Illustrator cs2 version 12.0.0

I have also seen applications that are working e.g. TextEdit.

I have tried to run the same setup but using a windows XP as client. The mapper sample cannot run is this setup e.g. saving from Photoshop or Word makes the mapper crash. The problem is (in my believes) the function "CbFsCloseEnumeration". This function does not handle both dir-enumerations and stream-enumerations.

Hope this makes it posible to reproduce the problem.

Thanks.
Posted: 06/26/2008 07:31:19

Thank you. We'll check this.
Posted: 06/27/2008 07:10:51

Søren Kristensen wrote:
I have tried to run the same setup but using a windows XP as client. The mapper sample cannot run is this setup e.g. saving from Photoshop or Word makes the mapper crash.

What network protocol did you use for connection - SMB or AppleTalk? In the latter case what was a third-party software for supporting AppleTalk used? As I understand WinXP doesn't support AppleTalk.
Thanks.
Posted: 06/27/2008 07:21:16

I have one server a Windows 2003 server - this server is running the mapper sample.

On the server I create a windows share and a mac share with SFM (Service For Macintosh). Both shares are called "Data".

I use a Windows XP box as client, this client connect to the share "Data" on the server.

I use a Mac as client, this client connect to the share "Data" on the server using AppleTalk.

The problem with the windows client arise when I create the mac-share on the server. So to reproduce this error you do not need a Mac only SFM.
Posted: 07/01/2008 09:08:50

We are working on it and I'll write here about the result. Please wait.
Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.

Statistics

Topic viewed 13477 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!