EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Helper DLLS

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 06/19/2008 21:58:23
by Joe Portman (Basic support level)

If you call CallbackFileSystem.InstallHelperDll once, do you ever have to call it again?

Another question, how can I find out if a helper DLL has already been installed?

Thanks
JP
Posted: 06/20/2008 02:08:30
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Joe Portman wrote:
If you call CallbackFileSystem.Instal­lHelperDll once, do you ever have to call it again?

You should only call this routine once when your application that uses the helper dll is being installed.

Joe Portman wrote:
Another question, how can I find out if a helper DLL has already been installed?

Currently it isn't possible. But perhaps we'll add such feature.
Posted: 06/26/2008 21:17:10
by Joe Portman (Basic support level)

Vladimir Zinin wrote:
Joe Portman wrote:
If you call CallbackFileSystem.Instal­lHelperDll once, do you ever have to call it again?

You should only call this routine once when your application that uses the helper dll is being installed.

Joe Portman wrote:

On another note. I am using cbfs inside a service. On my development machine, the install process installs the helper dlls and the service, which runs under localSystem account, brings up the file system and exposes drive Z:

Z: is visible for me from all sessions.

On another machine, I run the install exactly the same. The Z: drive never becomes "visible". It's accessible from a dos window or by browsing directly to it, but Explorer does not see it.

I am installing the Helper DLL's from the users account. Is this the correct way to do it? Do they need to be installed from the localSystem account?

I am unsure. Please help.

JP
Posted: 06/27/2008 02:08:23
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Joe Portman wrote:
I am installing the Helper DLL's from the users account. Is this the correct way to do it?

Yes. Use one of the Administrator account to install both the driver and the helper dll's.

Joe Portman wrote:
Do they need to be installed from the localSystem account?

No. And more over we didn't check whether it's possible.

Joe Portman wrote:
On another machine, I run the install exactly the same. The Z: drive never becomes "visible". It's accessible from a dos window or by browsing directly to it, but Explorer does not see it.

Perhaps the helper dll was not installed correctly. At least the computer wasn't rebooted (in the case when the RebootNeeded parameter had been set to TRUE). Try to reinstall it.
Posted: 12/02/2008 03:27:00
by Rene Pape (Standard support level)

Whats the status on this issue?

Vladimir Zinin wrote:
Joe Portman wrote:

You've already got the CallbackFileSystem.GetDriverStatus method, so why not make one for the helper DLL's ?

How can I manually check if they are installed?

What will happen if I try to install them, when they already are installed?

regards
- Rune
Posted: 12/02/2008 03:41:03
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

plassdata wrote:
You've already got the CallbackFileSystem.GetDriverStatus method, so why not make one for the helper DLL's ?

We have a ToDo list with many things to implement. They all will be implemented, but we need time to do this. Currently we are focused on much more important features such as plug-and-play driver and complete support for network shares.

plassdata wrote:
How can I manually check if they are installed?

There's no way to check if some shell extension is registered properly. So the best approach is to install them always (during installation of your main product, not on every run of the product).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2502 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!