EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Exact sequence for creating network drive

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 06/05/2008 21:06:58
by Joe Portman (Basic support level)

I have created a filesystem using cbfs and it works pretty well. The actual storage is located on a gigantic web farm, so I want to expose the fs as a network drive to windows,

I use the following code snippets to install the helper dll and then to create the network mounting point.
Code
            bool bootneeded = false;
            if (dlgOpenHelper.ShowDialog() == DialogResult.OK)
            {

CallbackFileSystem.InstallHelperDll(dlgOpenHelper.FileName,
             "nxnetwork", ref bootneeded);
                if (bootneeded)
                {
                    MessageBox.Show(this, "Reboot computer to apply changes",
                    "Mounter", MessageBoxButtons.OK,
                     MessageBoxIcon.Information);
                }
            }

That works fine. Then I want to create the network mounting point:
Code
mCbFs.AddNetworkMountingPoint("somename","share", false);

Ok. First, if "somename" is anything expect "X:" or a variation thereof, I get an exception, If I use "X:" it is created.

When I do
Code
mCbFs.MountMedia(60*1000); // one  minute timeout

The drive letter shows up in windows explorer.

BUT, I can't open it. When I double click, I get "Z:\ is not accesible"
"Incorrect function"

Right click -> Properties shows:

Type: Network Drive
File System: Raw

Ok. I give up.
What am I missing.

Help!!!

JP

Posted: 06/05/2008 23:43:34
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

AddNetworkMountingPoint does not create a network share. It is used to create a special kind of mounting point, which is treated as a network resource by Windows Explorer.

To share a virtual disk you need to create a local disk, then share it. The code for sharing was posted in the forum some time ago.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/06/2008 07:17:28

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
AddNetworkMountingPoint does not create a network share. It is used to create a special kind of mounting point, which is treated as a network resource by Windows Explorer.

To share a virtual disk you need to create a local disk, then share it. The code for sharing was posted in the forum some time ago.

Umm. Was I unclear? I don't want to share my virtual filesystem. I want windows to treat my virtual filesystem (WHICH ALREADY WORKS) as a network share.

Currently, If I AddMountingPoint and then call MountMedia, my drive appears as a "removable disk". I want it to appear as a "Network Disk".

Clear as Mud?

Joe Portman

Posted: 06/06/2008 08:29:37
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hello,

Joe Portman wrote:
I want windows to treat my virtual filesystem (WHICH ALREADY WORKS) as a network share.

Currently, If I AddMountingPoint and then call MountMedia, my drive appears as a "removable disk". I want it to appear as a "Network Disk".

You should use AddNetworkMountingPoint instead of AddMountingPoint.

Joe Portman wrote:
Ok. First, if "somename" is anything expect "X:" or a variation thereof, I get an exception, If I use "X:" it is created.

It's only possible to create the network type of mounting points in the "X:" format.

Joe Portman wrote:
The drive letter shows up in windows explorer.

BUT, I can't open it. When I double click, I get "Z:\ is not accesible" "Incorrect function"

Perhaps there's a bug in CallbackFS. We'll check it. Please specify what Windows version (including whether it's 32 or 64-bit) and what CallbackFS API (.NET 1.1, .NET 2.0, VCL, C++) are you using?
Posted: 06/06/2008 13:32:48

Perhaps there's a bug in CallbackFS. We'll check it. Please specify what Windows version (including whether it's 32 or 64-bit) and what CallbackFS API (.NET 1.1, .NET 2.0, VCL, C++) are you using?

Using Windows XP Media Center and Windows XP Professional Update 2
32 Bit
Using the C# CallbackFS API
.Net 2.0

Thanks,
JP
Posted: 06/09/2008 14:29:03
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The issue will be investigated and the fix (if needed) will get to the new build which is planned for this week.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/11/2008 03:47:13
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hello,

The problem has been fixed. Please wait for the new build.
Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3982 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!