EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

BSOD driver_unloaded_without_cancelling_pending_operations

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 05/19/2008 16:25:29
by Vijay Mani (Standard support level)

Hi all,
We call the installer dll methods from our installer to install/uninstall CBFS.
We're using build 27. 32 bit release driver. 32 bit installer dll & linking against VC2005\32bit\static_runtime(MT)\cbfs.lib

The installation (on vista machine) succeeded without any issues. (For the upgrade code path, it's check driverStatus, if installed, check version, if mismatch then uninstall & install newer version.)

The installation succeeded, and we were able to use our product.

But after a while we got a BSOD with the error driver_unloaded_without_cancelling_pending_operations.

The dump file is 196MB. How would you like me to send it across?
Posted: 05/20/2008 00:43:25
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

1) Please create small memory dump, which is 64Kb. This is configured in system settings.
2) "after a while" doesn't describe situation. When exactly do you get this error? It can happen only during unloading of the driver.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/20/2008 07:22:37
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

We have fixed it and the fix will be available in the next build. The problem was because Microsoft does not support the unloading of File System Filter drivers, but the CallbackFS driver is partly such type of driver. We were trying to workaround this but in some rarely cases it isn't possible (or at least we have not found the correct way yet :)).
So we have prohibited uninstalling of the CallbackFS driver without following reboot of the computer (the parameter RebootNeeded of UninstallDriver now always returns TRUE). But we've corrected only release version of the driver. The checked version (i.e. debug) still can be reinstalled without the reboot. We left such behavior for simplification of development.
Posted: 05/20/2008 12:51:52
by Vijay Mani (Standard support level)

1. I'll try to send a smaller dmp across shortly.
2. Fair enough. The reason I described it as "after a while" is that the uninstall of the previous cbfs.sys succeeded and the newer sys file was installed correctly and we were able to use our product just fine. i.e we were able to createSTorage, addmounting point, and receive callbacks.

Given that the unload happens during uninstall it's interesting that is that the BSOD was somewhat delayed. The couple of times that we saw it, windows blue screened about 20 mins or so after the uninstall/reinstall, after we'd created storage, added mps and received a few callbacks, i.e everything was working as expected.

Topic viewed 3239 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!