EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

issue with CBFS drive over network

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 05/18/2008 10:43:13
by adam  (Basic support level)

I need advice to stop windows explorer becoming unresponsive

I have a CBFS virtual drive (CBFS v2.0 mount a network drive) that gets the files from an online server.

i download the file on events onReadFile, onOpenFile to a local cache directory and then read and write to the local copy.

the problem is that windows explorer will pause while CBFS is downloading a file. for example in thumbnail view pdf's files are downloaded because explorer wants to read the file data, windows explorer will stop responding until the file has been downloaded.

How can i fix this so that windows explorer does not hang while files are being downloaded?

i have set UseSystemCache to true, and SerializeCallbacks to false.

Has anyone managed to stop explorer hanging with a virtual network drive?
Posted: 05/19/2008 01:37:40
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Windows Explorer is synchronous so if your callback is waiting for the files to be downloaded, then Explorer will wait to.

Another question appears - why Explorer attempts to read thumbnails from the network drive.
1) Does Explorer do this only in thumbnail mode?
2) Do you use AddNetworkMountingPoint?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/19/2008 08:06:14
by adam  (Basic support level)

I have witnessed a program called "webdrive" that creates a virtual
drive over a network that does not cause explorer to stop responding
while thumbnail images are downloaded. how could they cause explorer
to function Asynchronous ?

1) Does Explorer do this only in thumbnail mode?

In thumbnail mode i also have the problem also It wants to read a set
of images in the other view modes. i have noticed a reduced number of
reads with network drive.

2) Do you use AddNetworkMountingPoint?

yes
Posted: 05/21/2008 12:08:42
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

adam wrote:
I have witnessed a program called "webdrive" that creates a virtual drive over a network that does not cause explorer to stop responding while thumbnail images are downloaded. how could they cause explorer to function Asynchronous ?

I'll explore this and write you an answer.
Posted: 05/27/2008 06:41:50
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

adam wrote:
I have witnessed a program called "webdrive" that creates a virtual drive over a network that does not cause explorer to stop responding while thumbnail images are downloaded. how could they cause explorer to function Asynchronous ?

Explorer performs requests synchronously.

I've investigated WebDrive and found that its functionality is very similar to CallbackFS. So it's possible to achieve the same functionality using CallbackFS.
But you should maximally quickly process the create/open requests and locally cache remote files data (WebDrive also does these).
Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3584 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!