EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

callback file system large excel file can't save

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 04/25/2008 06:18:52
by Robin Astle (Basic support level)

The sample application when mapping a remote network share can't save the excel file correctly.
I get or a corrupt file or an error about sharing violation.

MS states that this can be caused due to the delay of the network, but if I open the same file over a network share (without cbfs in between) it works fine.

So I think the extra delay due to cbfs is causing excel to fail saving large files.

Is there a way to optimize/speed this up? Timeout parameters? Anyone seen this issue with cbfs before?

Posted: 04/25/2008 09:17:12
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Did you try modifying Mapper sample to share the disk and testing Excel then? I think MS statement is false. Every software is designed to wait seconds (at least) before failing, and CBFS doesn't add so large slowdown (a second is really large amount of time in this case).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/26/2008 06:38:51
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

I have checked it. The problem is in the sample program. We will correct it shortly and give you a corrected sample.
Posted: 04/28/2008 02:18:30

Thanx for your great support!
Posted: 05/06/2008 05:24:14

As I didn't receive a corrected sample yet, can you tell me what's the status of this issue please?
Posted: 05/09/2008 05:04:14

*small* bump to get some attention, as I'm kinda clueless if it's a bug I should be fixing or not? (is it in the library or in the sample?) if it's in the sample I should be able to debug it myself, but I'm clueless about where it goes wrong.
Posted: 05/09/2008 05:52:17

The problem was more complicated then I thought. But we have found a workaround. So it will be work correctly with the CallbackFS v2.0 which we're going to release shortly.
For files that are located remotely the network type of virtual storage (it's new type of storage in the version 2.0) should be used. Excel (and other Microsoft Office programs too) works with files that are placed remotely in other way then if they are located locally, and this way is safe for working via network.

Please wait for the new release.

Posted: 05/09/2008 07:18:20

Ok thanx! I needed to know for our internal planning, I can put this projet paused until the next release.

Looking forward to CallbackFS v2.0 though.
I definately subscribed to receive notification by e-mail when it is released.
Posted: 05/13/2008 13:07:14

We have released the v2.0. You can try it. Use the new method AddNetworkMountingPoint for creating mount points.
Posted: 05/15/2008 03:46:13

I'm trying to do this.
I get the following error:
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

I call the function like this:
mCbFs.AddNetworkMountingPoint("Z:", null, false);

Is this wrong?
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Topic viewed 10055 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!