EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

CallbackFS: prevent recycle bin

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 04/09/2008 09:47:14
by Tobias Fensch (Standard support level)

Hi,

i have mounted a virtual drive with your CallbackFS driver based on your mapper sample. Now, I want to delete files. In some cases, windows uses the recycle bin to do this. Because my callback routines dont manage this, my application crahes...!

If i use your mapper sample, no recycle bin is used.

Is there a special handling implemented to prevent this?

Thanks for help.

Tobias Fensch
Posted: 04/09/2008 09:54:24
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Do you want to pevent the recycle bin use or prevent crashing?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/09/2008 10:50:30
by Brad O'Hearne (Standard support level)

Eugene,

I'd like to confirm how to explicitly enable / disable the recycle bin, so as its on topic, fire away -- let's hear!

Thanks,

Brad
Posted: 04/09/2008 11:13:01
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

First of all, there's no way to enable the bin on Vista. Doing this would require a bunch of other drivers to be implemented. We planned this for version 2.0, but this will happen not very soon.

To disable the bin on XP you need to play with flags - marking the storage as Remote should do the job. If no, in version 1.5 there will be extended support for "network" storage type and the bin won't be available on "network" disk.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/09/2008 11:18:43
by Dan Cooper (Basic support level)

We have managed to effectively "disable" the recycle bin by throwing an ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED exception when the system requests anything to do with the recycle bin. This works well for us.
Posted: 04/10/2008 01:33:32
by Tobias Fensch (Standard support level)

Setting the StorageCharacteristics to scRemoteDevice don't help.

Setting it to scRemovableMedia (its the default setting) disables the reccycle bin. Thats why your mapper sample works for that case.

btw: I set the StorageCharacteristics to zero, because I want a normal drive without special behaviour...is this ok? (its not in the documentation)

@Dan:
How did you recognize such requests?
Posted: 04/10/2008 02:00:29
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Tobias Fensch wrote:
btw: I set the StorageCharacteristics to zero, because I want a normal drive without special behaviour...is this ok? (its not in the documentation)

Yes, but a storage with the flag scRemovableMedia is normal too.
Also the current virtual storages implementation is not fully compatible with the windows "plug and play" feature (that's why there's no way to enable the bin on Vista). We are going to implement this in several months.
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 5780 times

Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!