EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

File in use error

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 03/23/2008 12:08:14
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

If the file is kept open by cache manager, there's no need to determine anything - the file has open handles and so can't be deleted. Cache manager is just one of the "users" of the file.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/23/2008 12:09:58
by Dan Cooper (Basic support level)

Ok, I understand that but what I don't understand is why I never experience this on a normal disk and why it is now happening all the time. I cannot delete any files as they are apparently all in use.
Posted: 03/23/2008 12:18:40
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

I rarely see this problem on a normal disk. But this is indeed rare.

We need to wait for developers, maybe they can shed some light on this.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/24/2008 01:27:32
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Dan Cooper wrote:
I have installed 'Unlocker' which says the process which has the file open is 'System'.

It means that 'System' process hold a handle to the file. Until any handles exist for a file, the file can't be deleted. Handles can be closed either only by process who opened them or the OS will close them itself after the process terminates without closing them (for example the process crashed or a developer of the program forgot to call CloseHandle for them).
ReleaseUnusedFiles in this case don't help, because it only asks the cache manager to release files that are cached by it (the cache manager doesn't hold HANDLES for files). If a file is going to be deleted its cached data will be automatically purged from the cache.

Dan Cooper wrote:
I would like to know how it is determined that the file is in use and why the System process would have the file open (it never seems to close the file).

A file is in use means that there is at least one opened handle on it. I don't know why the System process (there are a lot of kernel code including drivers that run in context of this process) holds the file opened. Please give us detail information about the situation, i.e. how we can reproduce it (the file name, system version, is any antivirus installed, what actions were performed) and we will try to investigate where the problem is. A test program that reproduce this would be really helpful.

Posted: 03/24/2008 01:45:57
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Dan Cooper wrote:
I have only seen this problem on the CBFS volume and not on normal disks so is this possibly a problem in CBFS?

Perhaps there is a bug (or some specific implementation) in CallbackFS that implicitly leads to non closing the file by some kernel component. But more preferably this occurs on CallbackFS storage because you actively use it during the development. I have had such situations and on standard system storages. Usually some file system filters (antivirus, etc) hold files opened for a quite long time.

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 10388 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!