EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Error using the Mounter sample

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 03/14/2008 12:09:36
by Sid Schipper (Standard support level)

I received an error box that read

"The handle is invalid"

when I clicked the "Add" button in you Mounter sample's Mounter dialog box. I changed the drive letter from Z: to Y:, because I already have a Z: defined on my system.

When I click "OK", it adds what looks like some unprintable characters to the list box at the bottom of the dialog.

If I then try to delete the mount, I get an unhandled exception.

Could anybody out there explain this behavior to me?

BTW, I changed some of the cosmetics of your dialog box, as things wren't really centered correctly, for example the text at the bottom of the screen wasn't showing fully, but I'm certain that any changes I made could not have affected the behavior I described above.
Posted: 03/14/2008 12:22:56
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The sequence of actions in the sample matters. We have prepared an article that explains how to use the samples. I will translate this article tomorrow and put it to the site so that we can ensure that you take the right steps regarding creating the storage device and inserting "media".

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/14/2008 12:49:52

Thank you for your reply, Eugene, but using the debugger I think I solved this problem on my own. If you look in your source file, Mounter.cpp in the function OnCallbackAddPoint, you will notice that the GetWindowText function that returns the MountingPoint string is done after the AddMountingPoint function. Which means that the AddMointingPoint is adding a mounting point using an uninitialized string. When I placed the GetWindowText before the AddMountingPoint, everything worked fine. I would suggest you make this change and redo the sample code.
Posted: 03/14/2008 13:12:01

Thank you very much. Samples never were our strong point :(

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/14/2008 13:39:14

It appeared that you have come across the only sample with this bug. VMounter and Mapper samples don't have it.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/14/2008 15:28:53

We have found another potential bug that you may want to have your developers look into.

I am running this code on Windows XP and I have Microsoft Office 2007.

If I run your sample, create a Virtual Disk and open a new Word document on that disk and then try to save it, I get an assertion error from your VirtualFile.Write method because the Position is greater than the mStreamSize. If I try running it in release mode, to avoid the DEBUG ASSERT, I get an unhandled exception.

This may not be very siginificant as I can create and save other kinds of files. We also know that Samba doesn't handle Microsoft Word 2007 documents well either, so it may just be a case of you and everybody else not handling Microsoft Word 2007 documents correctly. I have not tried this on a machine with Word 2003 yet.

Meanwhile I am still proceeding with building a sample that inrterfaces with our product.
Posted: 03/14/2008 16:02:51

Well it tuens out that the bug having to do with saving Microsoft Word 2007 documents using your VDisk sample program may not be a bug with your software in general but instead a bug soecific only to the VDisk sample. When I tried saving a Word 2007 document using your Mapper sample it worked fine.

We are still concerned with this because from what we could see your VDisk sample more closely resembles what we think our interface to your software will look like.

Meanwhile I am still in the process of building a prototype sample interface between your software and ours. I imagine that will take me at least another couple of days.
Posted: 03/18/2008 05:49:07

The problem with Word has been fixed. The updated samples will be available in the next build update, which is expected in a couple of days.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/18/2008 14:16:49

Thank you, Eugene. Could you please send me an e-mail letting me know when I can get this latest build with the new samples?
Posted: 03/18/2008 14:24:47

Build updates are announces in one of newsletters, to which you can subscribe on http://www.eldos.com/cc/newsletter/

It's almost impossible from organizational point of view to track all individual requests for being notified about this or that feature or some new build. Yes, I know, we could build some event/alert system, but it would be custom and not so easy to implement.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages

Statistics

Topic viewed 6279 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!