EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Error handling with FTPS Send port

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 11/04/2013 03:44:46
by Robert Luo (Standard support level)

We want to get notification right away whenever there is an error sending a file thru the FTPS adapter.

What would be the best practice?

In the "Trace " section of the adapter transport properties window, We set both "Trace to Event Log" and "Trace to File" to "Yes". We do see errors being logged to the trace file. However, we don't see anything in the event viewer.

Besides these, any other error handling approach we could use (preferrably something that can be automated)?
Posted: 11/04/2013 04:22:32
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Hello Robert,

Thank you for contacting us.

The adapter should normally report events to the Application event log. Did you restart the application and the host instance after applying the changes to the trace configuration?

If the adapter was unable to transfer the file successfully for the specified number of attempts (regulated by Connection Attempts and Transmission Attempts properties), it throws an exception which is passed to the orchestration. You can use the CatchException block of the Scope shape to handle such exceptions. If the exception was thrown but not handled, the failed message is moved to the suspended queue and handled according to the relevant BizTalk application rules.
Posted: 11/04/2013 20:01:51

Thanks Ken.

We are using direct binging to MessageBox and then the send port picks it up using filter. So the logging to event log and trace file are our only options then?

BTW, should I expect to see the same error message in the trace file and event log if I set both of them to yes? Or setting yes to one option will disable the other one?
Posted: 11/05/2013 02:30:21

Hello Robert,

Even in case of direct binding to MessageBox, a message that fails to be delivered to the destination is still suspended and can be handled via BizTalk failed message routing techniques. This MSDN article gives some ideas on how the routing should be implemented.

BTW, should I expect to see the same error message in the trace file and event log if I set both of them to yes? Or setting yes to one option will disable the other one?

Yes, they should appear in both places. Just for clarification, what version of BizCrypto (including build number) are you using?
Posted: 11/05/2013 21:54:41

Thanks again, Ken.

We are using the latest version of BizCrypto, downloaded from your web site several months ago. From the changes.txt file, it says 9.1.216.
Posted: 11/06/2013 05:11:49

Hello Robert,

I've just re-checked the adapter and can confirm that the trace should be written to the event log correctly in your case. I suspect that the problem might be caused by some sort of access restrictions - basically, the BizTalk host instance might be restricted from writing entries to system event log. Is there anything written to the event log if you set Trace to Event Log to Yes, but Trace to File to No?
Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3171 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!