EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Using ssh adapter to send and rename file

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 04/21/2010 03:39:31
by Alexander Grindberg (Priority Standard support level)

Hi!
I have problem sending a file with sftp/ssh. I need to do a rename or a move on the server side to assure that the file is completed sent before the receiving system picks it up.

When I try that I receive ssh error code 2. I guess that ssh error code means ”The server does not support SSHv2”? Is it possible to use the sftp send adapter to accomplish this task? Or how is the correct way to solve this problem with the ssh adapter?

[ Download ]
Posted: 04/21/2010 04:03:02
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

According to the log file, the error occurs after authentication has successfully completed (it seems that the server sends a wrong disconnection code). It is possible that the server is confused by the command itself or by one of its components. First of all, please try to execute a very simple command (e.g. "ls -l") and check if the same error is returned.
Posted: 04/21/2010 09:56:48

Did a test with "ls -l", i got more or less the same result.

I'm little surprised that the sftp adapter didn’t have some kind of copy and rename functionality. Or does sftp lock files so you doesn’t need this kind of functionality?

[ Download ]
Posted: 04/21/2010 10:34:42
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Renaming a file is quite rarely used operation even by users of SecureBlackbox (backend library that performs all operations), so the developers didn't include it into the adapter. We will extend adapter functionality for version 8 of BizCrypto, which is planned for June.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/21/2010 10:54:49

Did a test with "ls -l", i got more or less the same result.

Hmm, can it be that command execution is restricted on the server? Would it be possible for you to try to execute a command with some third-party SSH client (e.g. Putty)?
Posted: 04/21/2010 11:27:47

Did a test with putty. I got "server sent disconnect message type 2(protocol error): "Remote login for account xxx is not allowed."

This is strange because I have succeeded sending files with sftp adapter and filezila. What is the difference between using Filezila, Putty and sfpt sendadapter?
Posted: 04/21/2010 11:44:01

Command execution request and SFTP session are different connection types from the point of view of SSH protocol. The server might be configured to allow SFTP connections, while disallowing SSH shell or command requests (for the sake of security).
Posted: 04/21/2010 11:49:35
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Obviously, the server explicitly forbids shell access and allows only SFTP operations. This is quite common setup. SFTP and Shell are different subsystems of SSH and they can be enabled and disabled separately.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 6051 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!