EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Multiple Host instances

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 05/01/2009 12:50:58
by Kel Koenig II (Standard support level)

Has BizCrypto been tested when using multiple host instances? It appears to me when running multiple host instances, the BizCrypto send port (on encryption) is grabbing a copy of the message for each instance and therefor trying to write over itself when one instance finishes first.

Posted: 05/01/2009 13:13:30
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

BizCrypto runs independently on each host instance, so there should not appear any conflicts (and we have performed certain tests with multiple instances). Would you be so kind to specify the details of the issue you are encountering? Which exactly adapter/pipeline component is used?
Posted: 05/01/2009 13:30:28

I was reproducing it just before and now I'm unable to, it could have been something I was doing. I'll continue to monitor this and let you know, thanks for the very quick response on both my questions!

Posted: 06/10/2009 15:35:40

I am again running into this issue using the FTPS adapter. We have two physical servers, M01 and M02. Each servers has it's own host instances, BatchReceiveHost and BatchSendHost involved here. The FTPS receive port works fine but an error is thrown when the second instance attempts to write out the file to the FTP temp directory:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: EldoS OpenPGP Adapter
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 6/10/2009
Time: 3:36:55 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SMPBIZTKM01
EldoS FTPS Adapter (receive)
URI: bc-ftps://cuna@ftp1.investigo.net:21/DST/*.pgp

EldoS FTPS Adapter: Failed to download file: 'DST/CBSI_TEST_EXT.TXT.pgp': The file '\\smpbiztkm01\Apps\Corporate.Encryption\CBS\Investigo\FTPS Temp\DST\CBSI_TEST_EXT.TXT.pgp' already exists.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access)
at BizCrypto.BizTalk.Adapters.FTPS.FTPSCommon.DoFTPSOperation(IBaseMessage message, AdapterProperties props, Boolean upload, ArrayList fileList)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The file is still successfully written to the Temp directory and the final destination but this error is thrown. When I disable the host instances on M02 and just let the two run on M01, there is no error.

We are using the the adapters, no pipelines. Please attempt to reproduce and let me know.
Posted: 06/10/2009 23:20:50

Thank you for the details, we will try.

Just one question: do both M01 and M02 servers read files from the same FTP location? If yes, this may cause the above conflict: both receive adapters will start downloading the same file simultaneously, and one of them will be more lucky (he will be able to create the local file first). The second adapter will get the "file already exists" exception when trying to create a local file with the same name.
Posted: 06/11/2009 07:11:02

Yes M01 and M02 read from the same servers, they're part of a Biztalk Group, so each receive location tied to a host instance on both servers will be reading from the same location, exactly the same as the out of the box FILE receive adapter, which doesn't have problems with multiple host instances.

So earlier in this thread you said, "BizCrypto runs independently on each host instance, so there should not appear any conflicts (and we have performed certain tests with multiple instances).", I take this to mean that each receive (or send) location tied to a particular host instance on one server knows nothing about what another host instance is doing? This does not make it very easy to use multiple host instances within a BizTalk group and would hope that this be addressed by your adapter, it prevents allowing for failover without manual intervention in our BizTalk group.

Please advise.

Posted: 06/11/2009 10:07:12

Yes, that is exactly what I wished to say; besides, now I see what exactly you did mean by the "running the adapter on multiple host instances" question. Unfortunately, such behaviour is not supported by BizCrypto at the moment, and I am not sure (without having investigated this question deeper) whether it is possible at all for FTPS/SFTP adapters. I can just say that Microsoft has faced certain problems when implementing support for multiple host instances for the out-of-the-box FTP adapter, and I do agree with the reasons provided by the authors of the referenced book.
Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.

Topic viewed 4515 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!