EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SFTP Trusted Key File

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 03/10/2009 09:55:42
by Steve Cavanagh (Standard support level)

I'm trying to use the Trusted Key file with the SFTP adapter. I assume that this is supposed to contain the list of known hosts and their fingerprints. Can someone please provide some details on the format needed for this file?

Thanks!

Steve
Posted: 03/10/2009 12:20:36
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

This file is expected to be saved in standard OpenSSH "known_hosts" key format. Each host key in this file is represented with a line <host>[space]<key-type>[space]<key-blob>, e.g.
192.168.0.1 ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAQEAwhvMWEAi...hkyQw==

Please use SshKeyGetter tool from SecureBlackbox Tools package to get the key of the server.
Posted: 03/11/2009 09:43:24

Thank you for the very helpful information. Unfortunately, I am still unable to get this functionality to work. I tried using the TrustedKeyFile approach (with this property containing the path to the known_hosts file) and TrustedKeySource set to File. I also tried using the same known_host information stored in the TrustedKeys property with the TrustedKeySource set to Value.

I checked the format of my known_hosts file by running a Python script (KH2REG.PY) to convert the known host format to PuTTY registry file format. NOTE: I did have to modify the script because we are using a port other than 22 and the script was hard-coded for port 22. PuTTY was able to recognize the SSH key properly.

So, it seems as though my known_hosts file is good.

As I mentioned, we are NOT using port 22 for SFTP. Any suggestions on what I might try?

Thanks,

Steve
Posted: 03/11/2009 11:11:25

Also, I should have mentioned that the errors that I receive when attempting to send a file through the SFTP adapter as outlined above are:

Failed to load keys, error 3329.

and also:

SSH error 109

Thanks for your help!

Steve
Posted: 03/11/2009 13:47:56
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

It seems that your known_hosts file is not understood by the adapter for some reason. Can you please post it to Helpdesk so that we could check what's wrong? Trusted keys file does not contain sensitive information (all the keys contained in it are public), so no private information will be revealed.
Posted: 03/12/2009 14:56:51

Thanks for the help! After removing the host name from the key file as you recommended, it worked!

The correct format needed for the file is: <key-type>[space]<key-blob>

e.g. ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAQEAwhvMWEAi...hkyQw==

Thanks again!

Steve
Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.

Statistics

Topic viewed 5360 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!